New Owner in Santa Barbara Ca

Steve H

Reaction score
Hello from California I just bought a 1974 3.0csa Coupe from a garage that has been sitting since 1995. The dissapointment at the slush box and the huge bumpers is tempered by the unbelievably rust free body and very original condition of this car. It has been color changed from Fiord to Polaris silver but apart from that it is super original. The car was missing steering components so putting on a flatbed was a challenge . The carbs were off the car which should ahve given me an idea something was wrong but after putting everything together and getting it running it seems the car has a bad head gasket . What’s my best course of action if the head is cracked and unserviceable any ideas out there.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 207

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Steve - welcome to the gruppe. my recommendation would be to get in touch with SFDon on this board. Don is the master of all things mechanical in relation to coupes and is often in the LA area (based in the bay area).

cheers
scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would pull the head and get it checked, it may be fine with a light skim. The 82 and later head has better cooling passages, shouldn't be hard to find one of those.

Steve H

Reaction score
Blown head gasket

I’m pulling the head and having it checked this week I’ve probably been listening to too many horror stories about cracked heads, so I will hope for the best. I will renew the hoses of course while I’m at it is an electric fan a viable proposition?

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 191

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to das forum, with the head removed and out for service you will have access and time to remove, clean, paint, and replace a lot of components in the engine bay, that's what I did, you'll be amazed at how clean and tidy it can become.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An electric fan is a good option but a bit late for the 1995 head crack :).
Shanon has an electric fan and can chime in.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CS Registry

...also, please take a moment to register your coupe.

go to "CS Register" on the black bar above.

Thanks

Administrator

Administrator
Reaction score
That's exciting!... and welcome. Even a cracked head is usually repairable. I've had two or three BMW heads repaired over the years with very good success.