New one from SoCal (OC)

E9junky

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new here, and live in Orange County.

I've been a long time lurker and have finally registered to participate and learn from anyone who cares to share their knowledge of the E9 Coupe.

In short, I fell in love with the E9 Coupe at around age four when I saw one in Tehran, Iran while we were on vacation. It's been decades, but I still remember the first time I saw one and ever since have kept this crush in the back of my mind.

I've had several cars in the past few years (ranging from an 84 Toyota Camry to several Mercedes and Audi S4)

Today I'm in the position to finally buy an E9 and have started my search.

One thing that immediately jumped at me, is that Hagerty states that a 3.0 CS in good condition is worth around $28,000 and the Automatic ones are worth about 25% less.:?:

I'm yet to find one in a daily driver condition that is asking for less than $25-$30K and they're mostly in the fair or poor condition judging by Hagerty's standards.

I'd like to get one that runs as I will be driving it as a daily driver (looking at about 5,000 miles a year).

If someone could please shed light as to why Automatic 3.0 CS are worth less than manuals, yet their owners that are looking to sell as asking for prices rivaling the manual ones.

Thank you!
R

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
R, First welcome! next, the price of an e9 is based on overall condition. A swap from auto to standard is only about 5K. It's difficult to price these creatures so I would use this board before relying on Hagerty or another valuation site.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

If you are near Huntington Beach you are near some extremely knowledgeable forum members, HBChris (Chris Macha), OCCoupe (Michael Berger) and Paul Cain among others. They are part of a vibrant vintage BMW community in OC.

E9junky

Reaction score
R, First welcome! next, the price of an e9 is based on overall condition. A swap from auto to standard is only about 5K. It's difficult to price these creatures so I would use this board before relying on Hagerty or another valuation site.

Thank you! I'm happy to be here, and have learned so much already.

Welcome to the board.

If you are near Huntington Beach you are near some extremely knowledgeable forum members, HBChris (Chris Macha), OCCoupe (Michael Berger) and Paul Cain among others. They are part of a vibrant vintage BMW community in OC.

Thank you! Yes, I'm in Irvine which is less than 15 miles south of HB.

Now it's time to get to know other members here. 8)

E9junky

Reaction score
Many of us show up at Cars & Coffee at Aliso Viejo Town Center on Saturday mornings. The e9 crowd isn't there every week, but many weeks. If you organize it, some vintage BMW's and their owners will come.

Excellent. I'm there every Saturday morning.