ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently purchased 4335393 a 1974 Malaga 3.0 CS and am located in Savannah, GA.

My car is in decent shape, but in need of some love to correct some previous restoration decisions.

Desperately looking for front seats - any upholstery color or condition.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Chas! Remember, it's not real without pictures;)

We are all looking forward to seeing your coupe. No doubt you will find your parts or get some leads here. I recommend posting a want to buy (WTB) on the parts section of the forum.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good point - a picture is worth 1,000 words!

Here is my 3.0 next to my 2002 Tii and 320i (upgraded to a 325i)

Attachments

• 412A53ED-05B9-4A41-B486-8810FB2F93C4.jpeg
    412A53ED-05B9-4A41-B486-8810FB2F93C4.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20C8F675-A4CF-4E68-9EB6-C638CE24B238.jpeg
    20C8F675-A4CF-4E68-9EB6-C638CE24B238.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 126

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Chas! Remember, it's not real without pictures;)

We are all looking forward to seeing your coupe. No doubt you will find your parts or get some leads here. I recommend posting a want to buy (WTB) on the parts section of the forum.
thanks for the parts suggestion too - posted there and already getting a response!

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. Will you share some more pictures of the car (interior, engine bay...) and - of there is some - the history?

I'm sure You will find only interesting information in here and maybe we will learn also from You.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
For sure -- will post some detailed photos; as I said, the car needs some love, so I WELCOME any and all observations and comments!!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
For sure -- will post some detailed photos; as I said, the car needs some love, so I WELCOME any and all observations and comments!!

This is something you can always count on here from senior experts to the nut or color of the plastic plug. :cool:

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am attaching a bunch of photos of my recently purchased car - I have identified what I believe are many (too many) incorrect details of the car and would appreciate any and all constructive observations down to any nut or bolt - especially if it comes with advise on how to correct it.

Attachments

• Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 87
  • Drivers Side.jpeg
    Drivers Side.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Pass Side.jpeg
    Pass Side.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Rear.jpeg
    Rear.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Engine Bay 1.jpeg
    Engine Bay 1.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Engine Bay 2.jpeg
    Engine Bay 2.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Engine Bay 3.jpeg
    Engine Bay 3.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Front Seat.jpeg
    Front Seat.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Dash.jpeg
    Dash.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Center Console.jpeg
    Center Console.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Driver Door.jpeg
    Driver Door.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Back Seat.jpeg
    Back Seat.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Sun Roof Switch.jpeg
    Sun Roof Switch.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Headliner.jpeg
    Headliner.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 80
  • Tools.jpeg
    Tools.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Trunk rear lights.jpeg
    Trunk rear lights.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Gas Filler.jpeg
    Gas Filler.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Tire Jack.jpeg
    Tire Jack.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Hood Tensioner 1.jpeg
    Hood Tensioner 1.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 78
  • Hood Tensioner 2.jpeg
    Hood Tensioner 2.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 87

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice starting point. Wish to have such a base.

I hope it will be a pleasure for you to make it nicer.

Is the chassis in good condition. Have you look in the places where our Experts suggesting to dig into to verify what kind of repairs might be needed?

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a fairly (hopefully sufficiently) detailed PPI with my local classic car mechanic that works on all my cars - we didn't see any rust in the problem areas and only some surface rust in spots on the under carriage.

QUESTION: This car has a motorized driver's side view mirror and a mis-matched passenger side view mirror. Is this "correct"?

I had assumed the motorized mirror was added, but now have seen other cars with the same motorized mirror with NO passenger mirror??

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the motorized side mirror is not original and was an "upgrade" by a previous owner using maybe a 1980s compatible mirror.
The passenger side mirror I think was optional, my car does not have it. IMHO the only point of motorized mirrors is you have multiple drivers and the driver number is stored in memory and adjusts by itself. This also requires motorized seats. In short, a total waste.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
This was my thinking too ... especially since my car has been "bastardized" with 633 motorized seats!! But I saw the exact same mirror on a recent E9 BAT car ... with the remote installed in the exact same location - which is making me challenge my thinking,

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The passenger side mirror was an option. I had a driver's side power mirror on a later, 1976 3.0Si Bavaria, and vaguely remember seeing the same power mirror on a coupe. Most probably a dealer option, not from the factory.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think your '74 likely came with the drivers power rearview and manual on the passenger side - as did my '75 euro. @HB Chris will know this.
Interesting ... were the two mirrors on your '75 mismatched styles? Mine are slightly different looking - the passenger side mirror is exactly the same as on my 1972 2002 Tii.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Chas, and welcome to the forum.

I have a set of front seats, and I'm in Aiken, SC about two hours away. There are some tears in the leather on the drivers' seat, but the seats are complete, including the hinges, headrests, mounting rails and all the trim. The rail covers are not perfect (cracks as I recall), but the ones I have now are replacements so I upgraded them from the ones that came on the car. Also, the knobs to fold the seats forward are mismatched, but these can be obtained from Walloth Ness.

Send me a message if you would like to work something out on these.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome. Lovely coupe. My 74 coupe was manufactured 98 units ahead of yours and like yours came from the factory an automatic but has been converted to 5 speed. Looks like you have optional drivers side power mirror with control mounted on door panel, any mirror on passenger side was optional as well. Non power mirrors would have been trapezoid not the flag style. The console between the seats looks like e23 or e24, don’t suppose those power seat switches are connected to anything.

Last edited:

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. Lovely coupe. My 74 coupe was manufactured 98 units ahead of yours and like yours came from the factory an automatic but has been converted to 5 speed. Looks like you have optional drivers side power mirror with control mounted on door panel, any mirror on passenger side was optional as well. Non power mirrors would have been trapezoid not the flag style. The console between the seats looks like e23 or e24, don’t suppose those power seat switches are connected to anything.
The seat controls are connected to the seats and they work well in all directions - everything but the headrest switch. People are telling me to keep the seats because they are comfortable and the power controls are pretty great - but I love the original seats and will replace these as soon as I can source and reupholster them.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The seat controls are connected to the seats and they work well in all directions - everything but the headrest switch. People are telling me to keep the seats because they are comfortable and the power controls are pretty great - but I love the original seats and will replace these as soon as I can source and reupholster them.
Didn’t notice that those are e24 seats. Now I understand why that console is in there. They look fine. I’m not a big stickler for originality if they’re properly installed and working I’d keep them.
BTW, in case you hadn’t noticed, this is an awesome forum. :)