New member - southeast PA

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Joined this forum a week or so ago, as I've decided to go a bit retro in my 'fun car' hobby. Looking for a nice e9 (needing mechanical work OK, but NO rust 'care' - I'm not sure it ever really goes away!). Prefer uncommon colors and light interiors (white/tan - no all black). Larger engine and 5 speed trans are slight positives.

Just sold the last of the 6 Porsche 928's I've owned in the past 15 years, one used for track driving for 12 of those years. Last was a pristine, slightly customized '94 GTS I'd had for 9+ years as 2nd owner. Have an '03 MB SL55 AMG roadster for my high horsepower/performance car, so after I bought it, found I didn't need two such cars, so the GTS has a new caretaker.

I drove e9 coupes in the mid-late 70's, a 2800 auto and 3.0 manual. Loved the 3.0, (Nachtblau mit gelbbraun). Installed triple side draft 40 DCOE webers and when I was at the factory in Munich, got a mild race cam. FUN car. Unfortunately, it had lived 3 through three winters in Boston before I bought it, so rust started popping up, And I was ready to experience a different daily driver. It is the one car I've owned out of nearly 50 that I wish I'd never sold!

I was very active on the Porsche 928 forum for 10 years, and on the Mercedes SL55 AMG forum currently. After I 'relearn' what I once knew about e9's, and glean LOTS more knowledge from all the other great folks on this forum, I'm hoping to contribute here occasionally as well. Gotta' get the right car first!!

Thanks for the great early hospitality in answering some dumb questions I've already posted or sent as PM's.

OK, I found and purchased a '74 with 3.5 engine and 5 speed overdrive. Excellent condition, but there are things I'll want to change to make it mathc my tastes (primarily interior colors, and wheels). Nice to have it in the stable.

Cheers

Attachments

• Print Lft.jpg
    Print Lft.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to das (der?) Forum.

I had a bunch of cars back in the day but I only regretted selling one, my Malaga coupe. Fortunately, 25 years later after selling to get married and start a family etc etc, I was able to find a nice replacement to correct that wrong and it is more fun to own now than originally (I've had my current one for 5 years).

So I relate (and am sure others here also do) to your position.

Good luck!

It is the one car I've owned out of nearly 50 that I wish I'd never sold!

TREMK

Reaction score
Hi Gary, Welcome to the forum. I have a 74 cs I got about four years ago with the 5spd. Not for sale. Sorry. I'm near you in Havertown Pa. If you ever go to the C&C in West Chester we can meet and you can check it out. Try posting a want to buy in the cars section. The members on the forum are always willing to give pointers and help people. Good luck! Mike

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Gary,

welcome to the insanity of owning one of the more unique cars ... and becoming a member of this wonderful gruppe. we are here to help those who are ready to help themselves ... and add support where needed.

cheers
scott

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Gary, that old refrain, "the only car I regret selling" is one we hear often on this board.
I am located in Bucks County and there are at least five coupes within 50 miles of me.

We gather at two local car shows, New Hope in mid-August and Buckingham in mid-Sept.
We will all start looking for a coupe for you.

Welcome

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Welcome! It would take an act of God, or something serious to make me sell my Coupe, but I've only had it a year.

I imagine when I retire there will be a handful of cars that I'll kick myself for selling.

Worst one ever though is a coworker of mine. He sold his Ferrari 166MM back in the 80's. Oops.