New member in the Midwest

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Stephen and I am writing from the Midwest rustbelt. That seems like a relevant detail given the cars we love. I’ve been a frequent visitor to this forum and am honored to be a member of this community. The wealth of knowledge and comradery is staggering, and I hope not only to gain knowledge but hopefully contribute in some small way as well.

I was introduced to BMWs many years ago when I worked at a dealership. It was there that I had the opportunity to drive countless new models (mid/late ‘80s to early 90s), as well as a number of older models that were in for service (though, sadly, no e9s). But the marque left an indelible impression – specifically the older chassis and technology. The art of their design from the late 60s through the 90s are what speak to me the most, and the aesthetic design of the e9 coupe has been my holy grail.

I now have a project car – not a concourse worthy original, rather a platform for a resto-mod. But I do like projects and the challenge of fabricating something that I can point to and say “I made that” (or in this case, re-made). I hope to talk/share a lot about what will become my process and experiences with this piece of automotive art. And in the end, I have some crazy theories that I hope to test regarding how this beautiful car can in some ways be rebuilt better than it was originally. My hope/goal is that it will result in a car that can be driven for many more decades and with a little less concern over hidden, cancerous rust that the original chassis engineering lends itself to. And with this forum as a resource, success seems imminent.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pictures definitely forthcoming. The car is locationally challenged right now, living at a mechanic friend's shop while we get it starting, rolling and stopping well. Soon I hope to move it into my garage (which is still very remote), but it will be much more accessible as the project evolves.

Danke.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stephen, Welcome to the board. There are at least 3 of us in the north shore area with E9/E3s on the board. Are you around here?

Luis

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Luis,
I knew there must be some members/cars in the area. My office is in the Third Ward, and we live in Bay View. But the garage that the car will be in for a while is out in the Baraboo bluffs - beautiful setting for the car, but a little less convenient to sneak out and work on it periodically. By the way, I've read your blog on the Neue Klasse - great record and process! I hope to run into you (and others) at the local gatherings.

Best,
Stephen