New Member in the Greater Seattle Area

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Good Morning! I have recently come into ownership of a 1974 3.0cs Automatic (Polaris Silver/ Blue Leather) that was owned by my Grandfather for the last 40 years or so. I have fond memories of this car from when I was younger (one of the first cars I have ever driven) and I am extremely excited to revive it from its ~20-year slumber as well as change some things to my liking (5speed swap, Euro Bumpers, Suspension/Wheels). I come from a Nissan/Datsun background as well as 5cyl Audi family, so I'm prepared for some headaches and hard to find parts. I've already met and have been introduced to some locals who have been very welcoming and helpful. Looking forward to hunting more parts and getting one of my forever vehicles going again!

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Welcome! You came to the right place for information, advice and therapy:)

When you have time show us some pictures!
Thank you! I only have a couple of pictures at the moment, they're a few years old from when the car was still used as a parking bump stop (the one time I'm thankful for the giant US market bumpers) as well as a storage shelf. I'll upload them in a bit.

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Not the greatest photos, but they give an insight to how the car has been stored the last couple of decades. Always indoors, rarely driven since the 90s.

Attachments

• 20210410_092620.jpg
    20210410_092620.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210410_092605.jpg
    20210410_092605.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210410_130827.jpg
    20210410_130827.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 121

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the gang....
There are a few of us in the PNW with E3's and E9's (and other similar BMW's -I have an E23 as well)

Welcome to the 'club'. Therapy session scheduled next spring. Although a few sessions may happen still this year. LOL

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Welcome to the gang....
There are a few of us in the PNW with E3's and E9's (and other similar BMW's -I have an E23 as well)

Welcome to the 'club'. Therapy session scheduled next spring. Although a few sessions may happen still this year. LOL
Thank you! It may be awhile before I can make it to anything in the BMW, but I have a couple of fun side projects I could bring out.

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Welcome!

Let us know your needs! I may have some parts!
Thank you, it has been a nice experience so far! I've secured a spare M30 with a sweet trio of Italian Weber 45s as well as a Getrag 265/6, along with a bellhousing and e12(?) 17lb 240mm flywheel. Currently looking for the rear shift platform/support as well as a clutch pedal. I was surprised to see how many parts for the 5 speed swap are still available new, or how many parts can be re-purposed from newer (80s/90s) models. Until I dig into the car when it is back on this side of the pass, I'll continue to just focus on trans swap bits.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Welcome to the maddness. Sounds like you are off to a good start on the tranny swap project. The e12 17lb fly wheel is the one to have.

On the shift platform, you may want to contact Hal: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/getrag-265-shift-platform.42798/post-383739

Also, I presume you have seen this: https://e9coupe.com/forum/posts/367531/bookmark, and this: https://e9coupe.com/forum/posts/367530/bookmark.
I had not yet seen that the shift platforms are being reproduced by a forum member! That's awesome! I'll reach out to get a place in the order line. As for the other 2 links, I cannot see them unfortunately. I think they are your personal bookmarks?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you, it has been a nice experience so far! I've secured a spare M30 with a sweet trio of Italian Weber 45s as well as a Getrag 265/6, along with a bellhousing and e12(?) 17lb 240mm flywheel. Currently looking for the rear shift platform/support as well as a clutch pedal. I was surprised to see how many parts for the 5 speed swap are still available new, or how many parts can be re-purposed from newer (80s/90s) models. Until I dig into the car when it is back on this side of the pass, I'll continue to just focus on trans swap bits.

Sounds like you bought that motor. Great deal.

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Sounds like you bought that motor. Great deal.
I did end up getting the motor as well as the trans. It has a very funny and farfetched story along with it. Plans are to strip it down for spares like you had suggested. It turned out to be a longtime acquaintance now turned friend. Small world! Thank you again for the heads up on that ad.

Trans came with some 4 speed parts that I've got to catalog, clean up and sell. Still on the hunt for a Clutch Pedal!

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Started to strip down the accessories and other bits off of the M30 I picked up in order to refresh and harvest what I can. Looks like the intake side of the head was somewhat port-matched to the intake manifolds' runner size. That leads me to believe that there may be some truth to the story behind this engine.

Attachments

• 20230924_095859.jpg
    20230924_095859.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230923_181731.jpg
    20230923_181731.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 77

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Triple DCOE's.....so what's the story....do tell!
I'm sure this story has been stretched further and further over the years as cars and parts trade hands between friends.

SUPPOSEDLY, the original owner of the Bavaria ,in which this M30 was originally planted, was the owner of either GulfStream or Lear Jet and had bought the car new and was immediately smoked on the highway while racing some muscle car of the time (was told Corvette). He proceeded to take the car back to the dealer and requested that it be made fast enough to walk anything he may come across on the highway. I've been told that this was the outcome and that it may be a stroker motor. I've always thought that 45s were a bit large for a stock 3.0 daily driver. Looking forward to pulling the head and checking the pistons as well as the stroke/bore.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I noticed the original starter in the picture with your carbs. Don't use one of those; go with the later fixed magnet starter - Bosch SR440 or SR441 will fit; they are a lot more efficient than the original starters.

Pittraider18

Reaction score
I noticed the original starter in the picture with your carbs. Don't use one of those; go with the later fixed magnet starter - Bosch SR440 or SR441 will fit; they are a lot more efficient than the original starters.
Planning on it! I'll keep it around just in case. I'm happy to learn all these tips and tricks.