New member in Boston area. Looking for a Coupe!

Phactory

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Phil and I recently joined the Forum. Long time BMW owner, started with a 2002 when I was 18, did all of the usual stuff with it. Came REAL close to buying a pristine 1970 2800CS back in the early 80's though the bottom line was that I just wasn't ready to part with my 2002 back then.

My car got stolen in 1986 and I got very heavily involved in the BMW Motorcycle World and I have been ever since. I currently own 20 motorcycles, which probably at least half are BMW's or BMW Variants.

Last year I got the urge to get another BMW car and started looking at Coupes, but had some serious sticker shock! I ended up buying a beautiful 1986 635CSi instead.

Loving the E24 but still have a yen for en E9! So I have been looking and it is quite a world out there! That NY Times (?) touting it as the next great investment certainly hasn't helped enthusiasts looking to buy, as it seems that everyone is selling their coupes and expecting to hit a Grand Slam.

Quite disappointing actually, as I just don't feel that a driver 3.0CS is really worth upwards of $50K. I know that rust is a major concern and I have been re-educating myself about what to look for.

I am quite surprised at how the BMW Car world thinks nothing of swapping out engines, and gearboxes, with no nod to originality. Definitely a big NO NO in the BMW Bike world! Matching numbers rule there!

So who is reputable out there? I have been looking pretty much all over the country and have found some nice cars, but I'm just not ready to plunk down $75K for a 3.0CS.

Thanks, Phil

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi phil,

i have pretty similar opinions to what you have expressed, nice to hear about matching numbers

these cars are going up in price these last years simply because of investing interests and speculation

but on the other hand it was not fair that such a lovely, elegant, sportive car was so much underpriced when compared to similarly dated mercedes or porsches IMHO

anyone that has gone the route of renewing a coupe knows that there is a bill (in fact several bills) to pay to be able to build a good example, i did, 50k you said ? probably yes

good luck with your search, for sure that for 75k you might consider taking a look to my coupe (stock and matching numbers, genau !) including in the price a trip to Das Baskenland, a drive test and all the food and wine you can eat and drink during your stay ;-)

if you feel like do please comment on the motorcycles, BTW, for an additional ammount in k$ my wife might consider placing the 1934 R2 in the trunk to complete the deal, just a second, that will leave me without toys, that is not fare honey ! :-(

regards

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Talk to Mario Langsten at Vintage Sports & Racing Bow NH.
Not a far drive for you. He has serviced, repaired, repainted and restored my and many other E9 coupes.

Phactory

Reaction score
deQuincey I could take a trip to Spain! That sounds like fun! I have looked at a couple of cars so far. A 74 CS and a 72 CSI. The CSI was a really straight clean car, but I'm just not enthused with the color combo. The CS just needed too much work for the asking price I felt.

Stan I have actually talked to Mario, as I was going to have him do a Pre I on the 74, until I drove it. I just have to be patient and the right vehicle will come my way!

There is a Malaga coupe in Camarillo, CA that I like, though I wish it had a tan interior. I did post asking if anyone had seen that car in person.

In the meantime I'll just have to play with this! Though even if I do get a coupe, I don't plan on selling my E24!

Thanks, Phil

Attachments

• IMG_4582 sm.jpg
    IMG_4582 sm.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 164

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful E24! Its day will come as low prices means that many are being condemned.
75k$ is a lot, I am not sure we are that high for a decent specimen. Time to get them in Europe again maybe...

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi and welcome Phil!
I totally agree with your expression:
"I am quite surprised at how the BMW Car world thinks nothing of swapping out engines, and gearboxes, with no nod to originality"

My own opinion for replacing the vital parts like engine and gearbox on the E9 to parts from another type of car makes the actual E9 to a "Frankensteiner" or some kind of a kit-car with the E9 VIN-number and shell. Rough and honest :)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pity you were not in the group a few months ago. A couple of us ran across a totally original CS in Durham NH. Mario worked on it for a bit and sold it to Peter Coomaraswamy who has meticulously disassembled, cleaned, painted where needed and re-assembled the car.

Survivor cars are out there...

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17841

Last edited:

Phactory

Reaction score
Stan,

Thanks for the link! Quite a journey so far! I actually was in the group, though I was just a lurker.

Oh well, you know the thrill of the hunt is a most enjoyable part!

Thanks DDD and Stefan!

Thanks, Phil