New Member from New Hampshire

edb

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My name is Ed. I live in Boston and New Hampshire.
I've been regularly using the E9 forum since 2019 and have found it very helpful in sorting out my 1971 Bavaria restoration.

I have 2 rust free Bavaria's, a 1971 and a 1974. The 1971 has been completely rebuilt and will be painted next spring and I'll start restoration of the 1974 next spring.

I'll send some before and after pics once the '71 is painted.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome ... your projects sound really worthwhile and interesting. please check in frequently and start a thread for the cars to keep everything together

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has someone in the middle or hopefully 2/3 complete Bavaria restoration, certainly like to see some photos.

edb

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My name is Ed. I live in Boston and New Hampshire.
I've been regularly using the E9 forum since 2019 and have found it very helpful in sorting out my 1971 Bavaria restoration.

I have 2 rust free Bavaria's, a 1971 and a 1974. The 1971 has been completely rebuilt and will be painted next spring and I'll start restoration of the 1974 next spring.

I'll send some before and after pics once the '71 is painted.
Here's little background on these projects with pics.

In 2014 a Bavaria 4 speed that's been in my family since new in 1971 was given to be (see orange car below). It had been sitting in a barn for about 10 years and had over 200K on it. It's a New England car that was Zebart'ed when new. It was ordered from the factory in Colorado Orange which was a 2002 color at the time . Anyway - when I jacked it up it collapsed through the frame rail. The interior was almost perfect and everything was there except the body was unrepairable.

I took a shot and found a picked over Bavaria automatic in San Bernadino CA took a leap of faith, bought it site unseen, then had it shipped to New Hampshire. See Blue Car below. This car is completely rust free. I have not come across even one bolt that didn't come off easily.

From there I did Body Work on the blue Bav. took the body off the subframes, swapped the 4 speed and all component parts and the interior from the orange car to the blue one.

Tested the engine outside the car.

Put everything back together and have been driving it and debugging it for the last 3 years. Now it's ready for paint- Found a local guy who works from his barn with 42 years painting experience. He's taking it next spring/summer.

It needs a new windshield (small crack in passenger corner) which proved to be difficult to find so I ended up purchasing another Bavaria from Florida to get spare parts and a windshield. This one turned out to be so solid that I'll be restoring it as well. (see the black bavaria photo). As a surprise bonus this one has a 5 speed.

I loved working on VW's and SAAB's in the when I was a kid in the 70's and this has been a wonderful project getting reacquainted these cars with all of their idiosyncrasies.

Attachments

• Donor Bavaria.JPG
    Donor Bavaria.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Black BAV.jpg
    Black BAV.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 70

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great work. Are you changing the color?
Too bad about the rusted Colorado Bav. Don’t see them in that color very often. I’ve heard there’s an Inka Bav here in Portland. Owners grandson pumps gas at a station near me.
As seen in the wild:
IMG_0806.jpeg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is too bad the family Colorado Bav wasn't saveable but at least it will live on in the blue car. You are doing great work! We really have a gaggle of E3s under restoration right now on the forum. :)

The Colorado car doesn't have any side marker reflectors/lights. Was it purchased in Europe? I see the blue car (now in red primer?) has the side markers shaved now also.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That Colorado orange does like great, too bad it could not be saved. Nice work, lots of help here on the forum.

edb

Reaction score
It is too bad the family Colorado Bav wasn't saveable but at least it will live on in the blue car. You are doing great work! We really have a gaggle of E3s under restoration right now on the forum. :)

The Colorado car doesn't have any side marker reflectors/lights. Was it purchased in Europe? I see the blue car (now in red primer?) has the side markers shaved now also.
Yes. It was a special order from Germany by my German anesthesiologist brother in law.

edb

Reaction score
Great work. Are you changing the color?
Too bad about the rusted Colorado Bav. Don’t see them in that color very often. I’ve heard there’s an Inka Bav here in Portland. Owners grandson pumps gas at a station near me.
As seen in the wild:
View attachment 174056
I would like to but it's too much work to properly change the Riviera Blue to Colorado so it will be kept Riviera.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
riviera is a GREAT color on any vintage BMW. relatively rare color as well. please start a restoration thread in the E3 forum so we can all find it and follow it. You will find some great cheerleaders and a wealth of experience to draw on. rest assured many of us e9 guys (most) also read + follow the e3 forum as there is a ton of info / parts typical to both