New Member. 3.0CS Owned 10 years

Simon

Reaction score
1975. RHD 3.0CS Auto. Manual factory sunroof. Fair condition for its age. In New Zealand.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 77

Simon

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive reception. A bit of my history with this car for anyone interested.....

I have owned the car since 2013.

Panel work and Paint; Previous owner had reasonable full repaint and repairs done. 2 new front fenders. No full record/photos of work done came with car so I wasn't 100% sure of the quality of the job. Paint and body work has lasted well and nothing major has surfaced in the 10 years i have owned. Good usable driver. Chrome work could do with re-chrome. Underbody has had blast and rustproofing.

Interior; Dash is OK but needs work. Looks like someone has re-varnished and the tp layer has blistered a little.
Headlining - had been replaced and is shabby. I ordered new lining from https://www.worlduph.com/bmw/classic/e9/headliner/#*
This is being installed shortly.

Engine; Previous owner also had engine conversion from carb to injection using BMW parts from later 2.8 motor. All original carbs and parts to return to original came with car. I have these in storage.
2017 I had a suspected blown head gasket. Turns out there was some very dodgy engine repairs done previously. Had the engine fully reconditioned and found dodgy welding inside engine head. Replaced head during recondition work. Running very well since then. A pleasure to drive.

2023 some noise from diff. Removed diff to replace bearings. Bearings were OK, but someone had previously replaced bearings and packed out the internal gears to make them tighter. They were now worn. Had to replace gears, of which some now obsolete and no longer available. Found very helpful worldwide network on Facebook (along with a few people trying to scam me!). Have sourced parts. Currently in workshop www.thetoyshop.co.nz getting diff rebuilt and the headlining installed. Also getting the left side sunroof drain channel rebuilt (as it had hole rusted in it) and inside roof rust proofed and sealed/primed before headlining goes in.

A good usable classic.

Last edited:

Simon

Reaction score
Welcome Simon. Original engine or other … any other mods?
Hi. i believe its the original engine. (I'm no mechanic). and havent checked numbers. Previous owner had it converted to injected. I have all the original carb and air filter etc supplied with car, now in storage. I had engine rebuilt approx 8 years ago due to blown head gasket which lead me to find some dodgy welding repairs inside the engine head. replaced with second hand one. full recondition on engine. has been running very well since. Great work done by https://www.taylorautomotive.co.nz/ .
No other mods. Just gradually fixing up anything that has been messed with in the past.

(apologies for delayed reply)