New Member 1973 3.0CS- Los Angeles Area

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm new here! I have been a member for about 6 months and just got my car off a transport today! I won it off Ebay on Christmas eve! The cars history is from CA and I believe it was in CA until a year ago, I was able to check with the CA dmv and it was on a Non op since 8 years ago, then it was purchased by a collector in NJ. Who I got it from.. Curious if anyone knows this car? It has some funny wiring all around the engine bay, random switches in the dash, seems like it had an upgraded ignition, fuel pump. Kind of quirky but what do you expect for a 50 year old car! Vin Number- 2250466
IMG_0933.jpeg
IMG_0936.jpeg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey there! Welcome.

I see some interesting add-on's that showed someone cared for the car in their lives. Hope the wiring does not give you too much challenges. There are wiring diagrams available for some E9 versions here on the forum as downloadable files- they may be of help.

Erik.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness! There are a lot of resources here, with many well detailed projects, both large and small available to help you as you start planning.

We are all anxious to see more pictures!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. I won my car from an ebay auction as well, just a few weeks before xmas (nine years ago). Looking forward to learning more and following your journey.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome @BmwCalvin!

This is the best forum & the FAQ section is excellent.
Highly recommend starting new thread in E9 Projects & Restorations keeping all your projects, questions, answers & successes easy to follow.
Depending where you are in Los Angeles, there are great people for advice, encouragement & even a helping hand.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the maddness.

That device against the firewall is installed in between a fuel filter and a fuel pressure regulator. Could that be some sort of fuel pressure sender? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge inside the car?

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
You should check out https://socalvintagebmw.com/ to learn about vintage BMW events here in southern California and connect with local, like-minded people. The 2024 events don't seem to be posted yet, but mark your calendar for June 2nd.
Jay! Thanks! I have been a bunch of time to vintage! I actually have an e30 touring and a couple E10s that I have taken there! I also have an E30 M3 that I have never driven but just need another day or 2 of work and then it should be complete! This car completes my collection, for now. Hahaha So many cool things that I never noticed on these cars!

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that's right. I'm a fan of the pierburg pump, which doesn't require a regulator because its a better match for the carbs. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/adding-a-electric-fuel-pump-suggestions.42221/post-369474
Ah ok I will look in to replacing that fuel pump. Honestly it is super noisy, but it's working! That whole system looks pretty nasty. Yesterday I was trying to get it running and had some issues, the ignition doesn't seem to send signal to the starter. I was told the starter was dead, but when I put power straight to it it cranks the starter. I know it's getting fuel but there's no spark also seems to be no radio or fan power so probably a wiring issue that I will try and tackle this week In my free time. There's random wires going everywhere on this car and a lot look to not be used.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ah ok I will look in to replacing that fuel pump. Honestly it is super noisy, but it's working! That whole system looks pretty nasty. Yesterday I was trying to get it running and had some issues, the ignition doesn't seem to send signal to the starter. I was told the starter was dead, but when I put power straight to it it cranks the starter. I know it's getting fuel but there's no spark also seems to be no radio or fan power so probably a wiring issue that I will try and tackle this week In my free time. There's random wires going everywhere on this car and a lot look to not be used.
If it works, I wouldn't jump into the fuel pump right away. Getting the starter and ignition systems working properly is far more important. Judging from the VIN your car was produced shortly after mine, and I've done a bunch of electrical stuff on my car (starting with melted wiring), so I should be able to help with some things.

Be advised that there is a relay that shuts down the heater and a/c fans (and the windows) while the starter is cranking, so the fact that these don't work while you are trying to start the car does not indicate a problem.

I suggest you obtain one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/320343044744?hash=item4a95eef288:g:QY0AAOSwdHhfBTmk

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, we won't be able to go about our day until we know more about why an oil filter cannister is over by the a/c damper!
You know I am wondering the same thing, there is one in the original spot as well.. I am really confused. I am going to take more photos today to show what is going on.

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it works, I wouldn't jump into the fuel pump right away. Getting the starter and ignition systems working properly is far more important. Judging from the VIN your car was produced shortly after mine, and I've done a bunch of electrical stuff on my car (starting with melted wiring), so I should be able to help with some things.

Be advised that there is a relay that shuts down the heater and a/c fans (and the windows) while the starter is cranking, so the fact that these don't work while you are trying to start the car does not indicate a problem.

I suggest you obtain one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/320343044744?hash=item4a95eef288:g:QY0AAOSwdHhfBTmk
Once I got the car up and running the air came on as well as the radio! Figured out the headlights were all unplugged for some reason so all the lights work as well!

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, we won't be able to go about our day until we know more about why an oil filter cannister is over by the a/c damper!
Looks like it's an extra external oil filter that runs off the valve cover over to the back of the head with some sort of oil pressure sensor? There's no wires plugged in to so I am not sure.
IMG_0955.jpeg
IMG_0956.jpeg