new integrated console for gauges and radio

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well yea on a 911. A "water temperature gauge" on an air-cooled car wouldn't tell you much!

OK, but what do you do with that information? Pull off to the side of the road until the oil warms up? I'm just not getting what action you would take based having both coolant and oil temp gauges.

If you build a really tight engine, like a race motor, oil temp is helpful to determine when you can use max revs and max throttle. If you use a lot is sustained high rpm and lots of throttle, oil temp can tell you when you need to ease up for a while. One of my cars does not like sustained operation above 5000rpm (more than 10 min and oil temp starts creeping up), and therefore needs an oil cooler.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you build a really tight engine, like a race motor, oil temp is helpful to determine when you can use max revs and max throttle. If you use a lot is sustained high rpm and lots of throttle, oil temp can tell you when you need to ease up for a while. One of my cars does not like sustained operation above 5000rpm (more than 10 min and oil temp starts creeping up), and therefore needs an oil cooler.

+1
when i drive in curvy roads oil temp is able to stay between 80 to 90 C, in those roads you can not keep high revs for a long time
but once in a highway cruise, yes, i kept speed at 200 (deutschebahn) and i suddenly realized that oil temp was well avobe 100 C

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is this not reflected in the water temp also?

+1
when i drive in curvy roads oil temp is able to stay between 80 to 90 C, in those roads you can not keep high revs for a long time
but once in a highway cruise, yes, i kept speed at 200 (deutschebahn) and i suddenly realized that oil temp was well avobe 100 C

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this not reflected in the water temp also?

The correlation is not as tight as it needs to be for a race car, and perhaps a little loose for a high performance street car. For example, my Jaguar has a huge 14 qt sump. So, the oil's isn't warm till LONG after the coolant thermostat opens. I avoid WOT up to red line until the water has been at temp for at least 10min. My '57 Alfa race car produces over 100HP per liter, and while coolant temp comes up very quickly (small motor, not much coolant volume), I won't push it hard until oil reaches 140F.

loloe13

Reaction score
Great work DQ!!
I think if you can find a way to light up your temp/air controls too, will make it even better. I am sure nothing is impossible in the DQ factory.
Gavin

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
one last addition,

pchuissssssssssssclackclackclack...

i tried not to drill any holes to support it:

esquema%20geometria_zpst9eqyyqw.jpg

how is made

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
antennas angled back like that in the rear quarter panel looks so much better than mine in the standard driver's fender location.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
antennas angled back like that in the rear quarter panel looks so much better than mine in the standard driver's fender location.
yep ... look at the line of the stone in the building beyond ... gives you the idea of the straight antenna on the drivers fender. mine is mounted on the passenger front fender ... mine is a different kind and it can lay down some ... but the rake on deQ's rear one is just SO right.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
offering a scan copy of the original manual of radio

a pdf copy of the original manual of the ludwischafen mono blaupunkt radio is available for anyone on PM request
you will be welcome to return the favor as a donation to the forum