New BAT - 72 csi - Guess?

Dohn

Reaction score
Less than $20K with four days to go. A lot of negative comments from visitors; mostly rust warnings (surprise!). I know these sales heat up at the last moment, but this one lacks the momentum of most recent e9 sales on BAT. I'm sticking with my $35K guess.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
but this one lacks the momentum of most recent e9 sales on BAT. I'm sticking with my $35K guess.
I think you may have it right. And I believe that is about what the car is probably worth in a global sense. But we'll see if a fervor builds towards the end...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not a car I would ever want to buy. You really don't want to know what is hiding under that paint.

Problem is, getting a rust free e9 these days will cost you >$65k, and not everyone has that kind of coin. Or they know what they are getting and would rather do the restoration.

CSIs especially are increasingly getting expensive. No diff than the current real estate market (especially up here in Seattle)

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok... Here I go with mine. I too was going to go 45-47.5 having discussed this car with a buddy of mine already. As that place is taken, I will go in at 50k. I agree with the other comments that having an original csi commands a premium and some will pay it. I do not mind having non-matching numbers because it affords me the ability to pursue what I want without sentimental "guilt" or financial remorse of doing so. The last 2800CS that went for 70k is also a testament to the fact that you don't need a csi badge to fetch good coin for the effort invested.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
This auction closes today in ~5 hours. It is now at $28k, with much discussion about the possible rust issues. I still stick by my guess of $40k, but not sure if that will meet the reserve.
If you haven't guessed yet, please do so now.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, starting to move already. I see that someone slipped in a $250 bid - it will take a while at that rate. But another bid just came in at $29k. Good to see this activity already this morning. Interesting commentary on the BaT site, too. I see some of us chiming in over there. :)

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am taking a lot of flack for my critique of the car in the auction. I have tried to be polite and reasonable. I will say it here--it looks like a rusty turd. But a non-rusty car is 50 grand or more, and it is at 29k, which I bet won't meet the reserve.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am taking a lot of flack for my critique of the car in the auction. I have tried to be polite and reasonable.
Yes, it is threading a very tiny needle on these auction forums. I've seen sellers get praised for providing large amounts of information, and other sellers getting scrutinized for the same. And when others contribute, it can be taken constructively, or less so. I would hope that the buyer if this car has appropriate expectations.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it is threading a very tiny needle on these auction forums. I've seen sellers get praised for providing large amounts of information, and other sellers getting scrutinized for the same. And when other contribute, it can be taken constructively, or less so. I would hope that the buyer if this car has appropriate expectations.
Let's hope the buyer is a member here or reads this post.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am taking a lot of flack for my critique of the car in the auction. I have tried to be polite and reasonable. I will say it here--it looks like a rusty turd. But a non-rusty car is 50 grand or more, and it is at 29k, which I bet won't meet the reserve.

Rusty turd.

Now that's polite !

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Still holding at $30k with 30 minutes left. This is what I thought/think the car is worth. If it were to close at this price, for all involved I would certainly hope reserve is met. Still anxious to see if a froth builds up towards the end...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think your monologue is going to get posted. The discussion has devolved to golf clubs and the 507. I personally do not think an e9 and the 507 should be compared - they are in different categories. I am trying to come up with a clever analogy, but can't... :eek:

WAIT - I missed it. Sorry, it is there...
Very well said (written).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the interim, is it post-worthy here? You can't tease something like that and not share. :)

Hey it's there now. I guess it got the green light. :)

Well this got interesting!

There is a fine line between educating prospective buyers and condemning a listing based entirely on anecdotal experience and speculation. Yes E9’s rust. Yes there are signs of rust on this car. We don’t know if the rockers are shot or if they are fine. The buyer should absolutely assume that the car has rust issues and the price may reflect that. Short of the $135K superman e9 that sold last year, this assumption is safe for all e9’s. It is the calculated risk that one takes when buying something sight unseen (not talking about pictures). It is no different than buying a house without inspection, or the set of multi-piece BMW wheels I bought this morning without pictures of the lips.

I feel that I know as much about rust in these cars as anyone. Short of fading paint, my e9 project car looks pretty on the outside but it needs new rockers and floor pans. I drive my car once a month just to shake the spiders and rust flakes out. I don’t feel that my life is in danger and it is certainly safer than a motorcycle. Perhaps it is because I grew up in the Midwest. My father-in-law’s current pickup truck has no rocker panels anymore (Body on Frame I know). My first hand-me-down (unibody) car had no rear floor, and I riveted in a new one during my HS shop class. If you are worried about safety head over to youtube.com and watch a 45mph crash test of anything built before 1974. The results are all the same. Driving another old car, rust or not is yet another calculated risk.

Now, If you are worried about restoration costs, do your research on the cost of the motor, interior, rubber, and chrome. Take the extremely subjective paint job cost out of the equation. A complete used e9 dashboard is at least $1K and a fully restored dashboard is $3K. Good carpet is $600. Seats are $2,500 + Labor. Full rubber is $2K. Chrome and polishing is subjective as well but you are again in the thousands. The list goes on. Now that you have accounted for a good $10K in parts, go find yourself a $15-$20K project with rusty bumpers and a shot interior. See if you can get back to the state of the car listed here after factoring in those costs. If you are a DIY person – I salute you as you just might come out ahead.

With all of that said I agree with the folks that said that this car can be driven and enjoyed without addressing any issues. @SCOTTeVESTceo has been vocal and shocked that the buyers don’t demand to see the bare rockers. I agree with many that this request is unreasonable. If you want to get into the weeds, an auction has *never been the place to do it. What @SCOTTeVESTceo failed to mention is that he did nothing of the sort when he purchased his e9 ~10 years ago. Then he took it on numerous road trips across the country. He could have have continued to do the same for years to come but his cosmetic respray initiated a moderate (I say that in jest) amount of scope creep. Most e9 owners are dealing with, and casually ignoring rust issues. Nobody short of the pointy-elbowed-super-model-critiquing e9 experts are the wiser. I say that with the greatest respect to the e9 community they are wise beyond their years and exceptionally helpful. One thing you can count on with this car is an amazing amount of support from fellow owners, the likes of which I have never experienced before.

For those that aren't children of the internet, the Pointy Elbows meme is directed at overly critical evaluations...

718dfcb820016f7492890a58aa4d860065cf46ca887dc9bc9e2fcac3ae24e296.jpg