Need to know on what cars the Getrag 265 with speedo cable were fitted

GGR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm on the look for a good Getrag 265 OD with the speedo gears for a project I have. I'm going to start looking in some junkyards around DC but before that I would need to know on what model and years these transmissions with speedo cable were fitted (it will save me jacking a few cars). Also, apart from the speedo cable gears, are all 265 the same or are there different variants? If yes, what are they? How do I recognize them? On what other cars than BMW were these 265 fitted?

I know these transmissions are solid, but are there any particular external signs of wear I should be aware of, like leaking seals, play in shafts, the way gears shift when the trans is still in the car or on the floor?

Also, if anyone has or knows about a good transmission for a reasonable price in the Washington DC area, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

61porsche

Reaction score
Getrag 265

Basically, 79,80,81. Big 6- 635 and 528i. There was a one year change in 85, 535i, but only has the provision for the speedo gear. ( Read put your old one in.) But by now you might find them in other vehicles that have had the swap done.

Best is the 528; the shifter fits the location best.

There were two variants- one close ratio ( no overdrive) and OD. The shift pattern is the easiest distiction. The overdrive 5th is to the right; while the dogleg lines up and down on the 4-5 shift.

I'm sure someone else here can speak about other items to help identify.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Getrag 265 5 speed transmissions

For US spec cars:
With speedometer drive parts installed:
80-81 E12 528i and E24 633 ('79s were 4 speeds)
It is possible some 80-81 733s had 265s.

Possible to convert:
82 E28 528e (you'll need to get a big six bellhousing)
85 E28 535 and '85 E24 635 (only year for 265) (also possible there were some 85 735s that had 265s)

88-90 E30 M3 (not sure if you need a big six bellhousing for these).

You will also find 265s in E12 530s and 76-79 E24 633s that have been converted.

There were posts on this forum in the past on how to do the speedometer drive conversions.

GGR

Reaction score
Thanks all for your answers.

So my best bet is an E12 528. I've seen some 5 series in the junkyards, but don't remember seeing any 6 series.

I don't want to buy a complete car for now as I don't have the space to part it out nor the time to sell the bits on eBay. And a trans at Crazy Ray's go for $90. I would be ready to pay a bit more if that saves me the hassle of taking it out of the car and if it comes with a known history of working well.

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
swaps from '81 528i 5 speed to 2800cs

I have a line on a '81 donor. Besides the engine and G265, is anything else usable, eg
rear disk arms or larger brake calipers?
Also seeking a location in SF bay area to host the pull. I have tools, portable hoist, trailer,
just no room for a carcass.

Stuart

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
You can use the vented brake calipers and rotors, but the swing arms won't work. The calipers are only 'bigger' in that they use vented rotors which are thicker than the solid rotors.