Need a wiring guru

Dohn

Reaction score
Been away for a bit, but need help from the hive mind. My coupe is a '74 with a '87 735 3.5l motor with Motronic, and a five-speed. The previous owner did the engine swap, and I have minimal documentation on the conversion.

Last spring I was driving my coupe to the Vintage, hit a pothole, and the engine died. Flatbedded home, and after several weeks my local shop diagnosed several shorted wires, which they replaced.

All was well until I tried to go to O'fest, stopped for gas in Kent, Ohio, and had smoke coming from the dash. Flatbedded to Larchmere Imports in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. He found melted wires from the headlight switch to the fuse box. Lights, turn signals, and brake lights still work, but when he diagnosed it he found the starter motor spun when the lights were turned on! He traced and disconnected the wire that was spinning the starter, but recommended not using the lights until all is fixed. I had been driving with my headlights on, and just before the smoke had sat for a while with my brakes and turn signals on as well, waiting to turn, and he suspects all that electrical load, coupled with the starter spinning, overloaded the circuit. He also showed me several shoddy details in the wiring, which led to his final recommendation. At this point the horn and ventilation fan are also non-functional. I was able to drive it home to Dayton, with some friends following.

Ever since I got the car, when you turn the key to the accessory position, the fuel pump starts running. He found it was running from a jumper of the main ignition at the fuse box, rather than through the Motronic. This and other details led him to recommend the replacement of the engine harness with a clean one from a late '80s car, returning the fuel pump and main relay controls to their factory configuration, and then careful dissection and repair of the body harness.

The shop owner was not interested in spending the time required to fix the wiring, so I contacted Paul Wegweiser, who then recommended Ben Thongsai. Good choice? Anyone have contact info for Ben, or other recommendations?

That's my burning question for today...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ben is semi local to me, and has a very good reputation. He has a sixth sense for these old BMWs - a Guru with a capital "G". I wouldn't hesitate bringing your car to him. And if you are "in the area" (IE greater Chicago/Milwaukee area), let's try to get together. :)
Stephen

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like your car doesn't like going to events?
It's easy to forget even BMW didn't know things we know today about wiring and safety. My 1970 came from the factory with unfused circuits, I fixed that craziness.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting tale. Sounds like you recognize that key on to accessory does not mean fuel pump should run. That is so wrong…
By now you know that your engine harness and interior harnesses are compromised. Without a doubt you should replace the Motronic engine harness with a new one. Only 7 wires from your engine harness should interface with the rest of your car. You should have 2 extra fuses installed in your Motronic engine harness- a 30 amp fuse for power from starter to engine harness bus and 15 amp fuse for fuel pump. No doubt in my mind that the entire harness from fuse box to coil should be filleted and proven good before starting the car with the new engine harness.
Don’t forget a diode on the blue wire to the alternator!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As an aside- my shop had a car In recently for substantially the same problem and Hagerty covered it. You might make an inquiry with your insurance company.

Dohn

Reaction score
As an aside- my shop had a car In recently for substantially the same problem and Hagerty covered it. You might make an inquiry with your insurance company.
The insurance paid to fix a car that was incorrectly wired by a previous owner? Maybe I should have gone with Hagerty! Hello, American Collectors...

Dohn

Reaction score
A follow-up... I was able to get contact info for Ben Thongsai, and he agreed to work on the car, provided I can live without it for six months to a year. Popular guy. I told him the car is useless to me if it threatens to self-immolate when driven, so I gotta give it what it needs, in whatever time frame that requires. Wish me luck...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The insurance paid to fix a car that was incorrectly wired by a previous owner? Maybe I should have gone with Hagerty! Hello, American Collectors...
Not incorrectly wired by anyone. On 50 year old cars connectors fail, tape fails, wires fail, hoses fail. That’s why you buy comprehensive insurance.

What is comprehensive insurance?​

Comprehensive insurance coverage is defined as an optional coverage that protects against damage to your vehicle caused by non-collision events that are outside of your control. This includes theft, vandalism, glass and windshield damage, fire, accidents with animals, weather, or other acts of nature.