Need 4-way Flasher Relay

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 4-way flasher in my 72 Bavaria is not powering the turn signals. The flashers work so it is not a fuse issue.

Looking for a working used one as a start point as the new ones are expen$ive. Last resort, BMW as I can return it if it does not fit. There seems to be quite a few variations on the "standard" flasher. When I typed in my year and model number on one site the flasher that was said to be right for my car came up NO. A ways back I purchased a used one from a reputable seller but it did not fit. Happy to try another flasher.

Steve try my email also: [email protected]

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve I sent you a link to replace the flasher relay with a solid state one that is much more reliable. Most of us have already done this 20 dollar upgrade. Happy to walk you thru it if you would like. I would not bother replacing the relay

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 4 available- because you are a friend, I won't sell you one......

EL13 is the answer as Bob says.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for saving me from myself Don, again. Today the turn signals flashed, cancelled and the dash light flashed until they cancelled. A rare event for this car. So as I told Rob, I will start to do the upgrade with the EL 13 and a new hazard switch. The only thing I can think of is the problem might? be in the hazzard switch. I turned on the four ways a couple of times trying to figure out what was wrong with the signals.

Could the position of the hazzard switch be in play here?

Steve

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don, I have decided to the do the EL13 and the flasher button. Thanks for the advice. Steve

Reactions: Dlc

jmackro

Reaction score
Don, I have decided to the do the EL13 and the flasher button. Thanks for the advice. Steve
Well, that's the "belt and suspenders" solution. Replacing both should address whatever symptoms you have, though I have to admit that I never fully understood your symptoms:

CSteve said:
The 4-way flasher in my 72 Bavaria is not powering the turn signals. The flashers work..

So I think you're saying that when all four bulbs are in the circuit (e.g., emergency flasher mode) everything works OK. But when only two bulbs are in the circuit (e.g., turn signal mode), something happens that's too terrible to describe. Most likely an electronic flasher will solve that, as they are insensitive to the current draw of the bulbs (e.g., they flash at the same frequency regardless of whether they're driving 2 or 4 bulbs). Your E-flasher switch is probably OK.