My Next Vintage Racing Project

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well I hope this doesn't get me kicked off this forum, but below are some shots of my next vintage racing project. The car is an ex-werks car imported by Brumos and raced in the early to mid 1960's. I have made the purchase, and will be arranging for shipping next week.

Once the car is here I will be doing the clean-up and race prep myself. If there is interest, I will post my progress.

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

pamp

Reaction score

Man, too cool for school. Absolutely love it...keep up the good work...can I hold your wallet?
Your last project had us all drooling. How did the newest hold up at the races? This one looks good as is, yes, do you know how to have fun. Lets meet at the Eugene Country Fair....fun
(after hours)

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
The 700

Flashback city for me. Owned a 700 back in the mid 80's. White and stock. Scared the wife badly, but, I had some fun with that little boxer powered ride. Sold it for $1200 One of the many I wish I ,could have/should have kept. Sometimes life just gets in the way of the passion.

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
She's Here!

The 700 arrived from Georgia today. 12 days on the road, and a dead battery. She did not seem to care for our cold weather, but the former owner warned me that the car is VERY cold blooded.

We finally got her started, and I was able to make the 2 mile drive home from where I met the truck. The temp was 35 degrees, with 95% humidity and fog. The carbs iced up some, but we made it. She is now tucked into the warm garage along with her two big brothers.

I will update this thread as I begin to evaluate the car and get her ready for the summer wars. We have a couple of Fiat Abarths in our area severely in need of some discipline!

unloading1.jpg

700&Bros.jpg

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
OOOoooooo!

I'm so jealous! I've been searching for a 700 sport for a while. Just when it seems like I'm giving up, one pops up somewhere and keeps me interested for until the next siting.
If I'm remembering your coupe correctly, doesn't the ex-owner also own one of two RSs ever made?
Give the Sprites and the Abarths hell.
And, please do keep us updated!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Let's Begin

I have completed my inspection and evaluation of the car and what it is going to take to get it ready to race this summer. Here's the list:

Safety Items- fuel cell, updated belts, window net, fire system,
master disconnect switch

Tech items- transponder, tow hooks (f&r), headlight covers, throttle
return spring (rules require 2), catch can for crankcase
ventilation

I am also ordering up a set of Panasports in 5.5 X 13", and a set of Dunlop L series tires. These are a harder compound tire which should let the car slide a bit more, while providing long wear.

I loaded the wood stove in the shop with wood early this morning, and will head down soon to begin. Pictures will be forthcoming.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Front Tow Hook

Thought I might start with the front tow hook. I won't have time to finish it today due to familial commitments associated with the day, but at least I can make a start.

Took a look under the front end and decided the old bumper mounts would work for mounting the tow hook. I started by cleaning out the old holes with a tap:

towhook_4.jpg

Next I formed up an eyelet from 3/8" bar stock, using an acetylene torch to heat it, and a piece of thick wall tubing as a mandrel.

towhook_1.jpg

towhook_2.jpg

Next I cut a piece of 1/4" X 1" bar stock to length and positioned the finished eyelet on for welding.

towhook_3.jpg

Once the eyelet was welded to the bar stock I measured, marked, and drilled the holes for mounting. I will need to make some spacers to line up the finished tow hook with the bumper slots in the front of the car. Some red paint and a couple of bolts the right length and it will be finished.

Until then, a Merry Christmas to all!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice Work on the Hook. Will look forward to more updates. Merry Christmas

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finished the front tow hook today. Here is the result:

photo copy.jpg

photo.jpg

I made the spacers from some UHMW plastic rod I had on hand from another project. Just need to add the "TOW" decal and move to the rear for the rear hook.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wheels are here!

New 5.5 X 13" Panasports are here. They are 20mm offset, with a 3.86" backspace. 4 X 100mm bolt pattern. Tires should be here next week- Dunlop 550 13 L Series slicks.

700wheels.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fuel Tank Out

I was finally able to spend some time in the shop working on the 700. I need to put a fuel cell in the car and thought it was about time to get the steel tank out of the car so I could measure up the space for a Fuel Safe cell.

After draining the steel tank, cutting the old rubber fuel line, and loosening the hold down straps I popped out the old steel tank. Underneath it I found wooden blocks cut to the profile of the tank and used to keep it in place. Obviously this was not the original tank.

I've ordered up a 5 gal. cell from Fuel Safe, and will need to weld up a frame to hold it in place. I opted for the aluminum can upgrade to reduce weight. Then comes the plumbing. I will loose the current fuel gauge, but that shouldn't be a problem for racing purposes.

700Fuel_1.jpg

700Fuel_2.jpg

aalto

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates . . . keep them coming. I've realized that working on my own cars and following other peoples builds is the way I manage to make it through the dreary Pacific Northwest winter!

Can we expect to see the 700 out at the Portland Historics this summer?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can we expect to see the 700 out at the Portland Historics this summer?

That is the plan. I am hoping to run the CSL, the 1800, and the 700. Will make for a busy weekend, but also a fun one!

I've also entered the 700 for Monterey. Keep your fingers crossed.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fuel Cell

I began the installation of the new 5 gal. Fuel Safe fuel cell today. The first photo shows it sitting in the space formerly occupied by the steel tank that I removed. It is a perfect fit! The second photo shows the beginnings of the framework I will use to hold the tank in place. I am using 1" square tube with 16 ga. walls. I will TIG weld the frame for better strength. My plan is to cut legs to go down to the framework below the tank and weld it in place.

FC_1.jpg

FC_2.jpg

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I completed the frame for holding the fuel cell today. I decided to go back and remake it out of 1" angle iron. I then cut some legs to raise it to the proper level, and then added some diagonal braces to provide lateral support.

I made a make-shift template with a piece of wood so I could fit the diagonal braces more easily. It worked well, and when I test fit the frame in the car it fit perfectly.

Next will be to weld it in place and fit a bracket to hold the fuel pump and filter.

700fuelcell_3.jpg

700fuelcell_4.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have been busy with farm work and have not had much time to work on the 700. In the last few days I have spent a few hours in the shop.

I completed installing the catch tank on the crankcase breather:

700_catchTank.jpg

I have also completed plumbing the fuel cell, and installing the battery box. I opted for a smaller racing battery to save some weight:

700_fuelCellIntalled.jpg

I have also had the tires mounted and balanced but have yet to put them on the car:

700_on_jacks.jpg