My Malaga S54 E9

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
collectorcars.com is not a valid site. Do you mean ClassicCars.com? ClassicCars.com currently has 27 cars on auction.

shiftgate.com is fairly new and actually doesn't have any cars on auction right now (but a few "coming soon").

Hemmings Auctions might be the closest to BaT...but quite a distant 2nd. Hemmings currently has 128 cars on auction. BaT has 781.
Cars & Bids is another auction site

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cars & Bids is another auction site

Cars and Bids has about 150 cars on auction now. To be fair, many are just daily driver types...not collector cars. They advertise "enthusiast vehicles from the 1980s to the 2020's". Their sell through rate is 85% which is pretty impressive. Listings are free to the seller.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your white background shots are very impressive. The camel brown leather is a nice choice with Malaga. It looks like your rear bumper license plate lights are not wired into the trunk. You might want to point that out in the auction.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cars and Bids has about 150 cars on auction now. To be fair, many are just daily driver types...not collector cars. They advertise "enthusiast vehicles from the 1980s to the 2020's". Their sell through rate is 85% which is pretty impressive. Listings are free to the seller.
They won’t accept vehicles without a 17-digit VIN. 1981 is the earliest they will accept.

It appears that while they do occasionally get decent cars, most of the offerings there are cars that wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny on BaT. More often than not, commenters on a BaT auction ask intelligent questions or have real experience to back up what they write about. On Cars and Bids, it’s often people making comments solely for likes.

People can say what they want about BaT, but it’s like Kleenex. When people go to look for a collector car auction online, you’re going to BaT. All of the also-rans can’t possibly get the eyeballs that a BaT auction will get and are more than likely a waste of time for the seller.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Albert I posted in the thread on your friend Chris' car that I didn't think the fuel lines should run across the bottom of the car under the drivers' feet. This was one of the things I thought needed to be fixed before he sold his car. So I was surprised when I saw, in picture 230, the fuel lines running the same way on your car. I don't want to hurt your auction, but I honestly think this is dangerous. The fuel lines are not adequately protected when installed like this.

Moreover, looking at pictures 244 and 245, the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are pretty exposed where they are mounted. And, looking at picture 229, using this location also means the frame rail cannot be used to lift the car for fear of damaging the fuel filter/regulator setup.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Albert I posted in the thread on your friend Chris' car that I didn't think the fuel lines should run across the bottom of the car under the drivers' feet. This was one of the things I thought needed to be fixed before he sold his car. So I was surprised when I saw, in picture 230, the fuel lines running the same way on your car. I don't want to hurt your auction, but I honestly think this is dangerous. The fuel lines are not adequately protected when installed like this.

Moreover, looking at pictures 244 and 245, the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter are pretty exposed where they are mounted. And, looking at picture 229, using this location also means the frame rail cannot be used to lift the car for fear of damaging the fuel filter/regulator setup.
Agreed. Fuel components below the frame rail is asking for trouble. Also, photos 192 and 197 show a bolt sticking out of the head/valve cover. What's that for? It looks out of place.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, photos 192 and 197 show a bolt sticking out of the head/valve cover. What's that for? It looks out of place.

That is supposed to be for the oil return line to the pan. Looks like it was plugged. I don’t know enough about these motors to understand what this does for longevity, but it is there for a reason. Even if it is safe to plug, it should use an appropriate length bolt and a copper washer.

3A2E1CF7-8181-4A5F-91D4-362D6FBB8BF9.jpeg

This an aftermarket line but it accurately conveys the purpose.
D08C0F00-1151-46D8-95C0-D12DC0B5E8A1.jpeg

4A10E223-B92D-4761-850C-94819292C89B.jpeg

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Between that, the E34 oil pan and the fact it was mentioned there was no work done to the motor (these are notorious for rod bearing issues) and the completely destroyed guibo, I’m not really confident in this build. I don’t agree with blanket statements saying car is bad stay away but I don’t really trust much of the work done.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good photos to show how it's suppose to be. Still a little odd that they run an oil line between two exhaust ports but maybe it doesn't affect the temp of the oil that much.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious why are you selling this e9 and keeping your others?

Sounds like this Malaga is the funnest to drive
Hello my friend, if you drive this car you will know why, E9 is about 13 or 1400 pounds is lighter than M3 and standard engine is 333 HP with header and computer have no restriction and no converter and electric fan we are talking about well over 400 HP and I can not control my self after my auction is over I will send you a video to see how this car........................

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hi Chris, I know I remember that but this Malaga is deferent there is M3 special fuel filter and very tin line from the filter is going up to the engine we try about 4 or 5 deferent spot and that was giving problem how engine was working it took about 2 weeks to fined what is the problem to the engine and another mount to fix and current location is the only location that works perfect and it is right under the driver next to the frame and it is good location for service, every 30K mile need to change the filter, any other location we had to extend the line and that was giving us the problem, and I was hopping car frame will support that fuel filter and I am thinking it is good location to cover the filter with aluminum cover sheet overall that's the reason you see the line there however thanks for asking

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is supposed to be for the oil return line to the pan. Looks like it was plugged. I don’t know enough about these motors to understand what this does for longevity, but it is there for a reason. Even if it is safe to plug, it should use an appropriate length bolt and a copper washer.

View attachment 163997

View attachment 163999
View attachment 163996

Hi Marcus, I don't even know what that bold is for, it is good that you bring that up for sure I will ask my mechanic about that, he shoals have reasonable answer for me, after all that money that he make it from me, I look side of engine just now after I saw your post and there is no oil leak and is dry but the bolt is there and tide to me look like he used it for chain maybe, but I will fined out tomorrow.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed. Fuel components below the frame rail is asking for trouble. Also, photos 192 and 197 show a bolt sticking out of the head/valve cover. What's that for? It looks out of place.
Hello, I know but we had the problem with the fuel filter and was giving us a problem that was the only location was working ok there was a tiny line was going up to engine when we extend the line engine wasn't working properly however I am trying to cover it with aluminum sheet to protect the filter since need to me accusable location for service that filter himself killed about 2 or 3 weeks of our time

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The return line is for the oil separator. Underneath the black cover over the valve cover, is the crankcase vent valve which takes the vapors and puts them back into the intake. Part of that process separates the vapors from liquid oil. Due to packaging, the inside of the top of the valve cover is cast so that it takes the liquid oil and returns it to the pan via the tube. Think of it like the canister on 3.07 sideloader differentials that direct the vapors from the vent into the canister then drains that into where the original fill plug location goes. Vapor on early S54s (pre 9/04) went right into the intake and later cars had a valve plumbed into the vacuum rail next to the fuel rail.

This is another one of the issues that arises using the E34 oil pan with these engines. The original design is a mixture of hard line with rubber sections and it drains into a boss in the stock oil pan. That part is almost $400 these days, so the braided lines like Markos posted are a decent option and are much easier to install especially as they start to fail. In the case of swaps, often they'll plumb the return line into the top of the sump on the oil pan. I think you can see this on the white car AutoKennel sold in 2021.

As far as the fuel filter goes, cars that use the fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator combo put that part inside the frame rail behind the transmission and it has a cover over it you have to remove to access. It should never be exposed on the outside of the frame rail, especially in the path of things that could be kicked up by the left front tire.

Last edited:

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Between that, the E34 oil pan and the fact it was mentioned there was no work done to the motor (these are notorious for rod bearing issues) and the completely destroyed guibo, I’m not really confident in this build. I don’t agree with blanket statements saying car is bad stay away but I don’t really trust much of the work done.
I have a 3 E9 and always posting a picture, post few picture of your car to see how perfect is your car if you have one.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don’t understand why a BAT commentator would dismiss substantive observations about a car as coming from “armchair cowboys that are self-appointed experts”, or why some other BAT commentator would expressing his view that the installation of the fuel filter and regulator on this car are "about as good as it’s gonna get." I’m pretty sure neither of these guys are on the forum here, and yet in both cases, they effectively dismiss substantive observations from knowledgeable people without offering any facts that contradict the observations.

Maybe I'm wrong about my comment. If someone jumps in and points out that “this fuel line routing and filter/regulator location mimics exactly what BMW did with the e28s or e34s” or the W124 Mercedes or whatever, well then I’m happy to admit I was wrong.

The point is not, however, whether I am right or wrong. Lots of potential buyers will be able to evaluate my comments based on their knowledge and experience.

The point is that these random “don’t worry, be happy” comments provide comfort to unsophisticated buyers captivated by the pretty paint and powerful M car engine who cannot themselves evaluate the quality of this particular build. In other words, they entice precisely the type of person who should not buy this car. Why do this?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 3 E9 and always posting a picture, post few picture of your car to see how perfect is your car if you have one.
Not the way to start a romance. I don’t need to defend @wkohler but I can attest to him owning an extremely original and equally nice 1 owner e9 as well as a few award winning e28s and e12.

This however has nothing to do with Chris’ or any other persons comments about your car. You are in a group of e9 experts and many have a really good eye for detail. @wkohler is very knowledgeable of multiple models of BMWs. He has made it his life passion and has a good reputation among us. I suggest toning down any negative comments towards him. And I’ve had more e9s than you so don’t even go there.

Mahalo,
Bruddah Mike
I’m sitting in Maui right now trying to head home.