My car is finished- after nearly 6 years of work.... :)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had this buried in a different thread but thought I would post this info in its own thread (Had a couple of folks say they never saw my earlier post, so - here we are all by itself).....
This is an edited version of what I had earlier....
-------------------------------------------------------
In 2008 I purchased a 1970 CS from Tony (Velocewest here on the E9 forum -if any of the oldtimers remember him).
It was a decent driver quality car - but that was all I was wanting. It was a fun car to have and turned heads everywhere I went.
But it had issues... Trans crunched... engine over heated... heater had to be bypassed as it leaked, there was an electical short in the dash... All sorts of fun stuff you have with a 50 year old car.
I had been visiting with SFDon a few times about what he could do and in 2016 finalized the plan.
The original 2.8L carb'd engine was toast, so I had Don put together an M90 with Megasquirt for me.
Tony provided me a Getrag 5-speed when I bought the car - so that would go in.
The AC as installed was non-functional, so I was going to have Don get that going....
And, I was also having the brakes updated to the later E9 setup. I had the trailing arms as well (also from Tony).
Basically - My intent was to keep the body and interior mostly 'as is' while jazzing up the running gear and taking care of the mechanical stuff.
Basically make it a bit of a hot rod. :)
The car goes down in October of 2017 and he gets started.

So what started out as the intent to have a hot rod with a 20 foot paint job (with nominal expense) became a 'full meal deal' restoration resulting in a car that will look as good as it goes.
The 6 year part of this is a combination of circumstances... on both ends (Don's and mine - and COVID) and in the end worked out as well for both of us.

Well, long story short... To fix the A/C, the dash had to be removed.
In so doing, rust was discovered. That and the other things the folks doing the restoration found that 'should' be fixed had me give the green light to a 'full meal deal' restoration (so to speak).
Those that know Don will smile (and know how this sounded) as I explain how the day unfolded when the rust was discovered.....
~10am - Don calls me to say that as they are removing the dash they found some rust. Concerning, but not crossed the line to having any other impacts.
~Noon - Don texts me that the dash is almost out and more rust found. Still not 'crossed the line'
~3pm - I get a two word text. "You're F*&^ED" LOL

So... Now instead of a 'below the radar' car with a bit of HP under the hood, it is a 100 point concourse worthy car that I will sweat like crazy every time I drive it - LOL....
Kind of like the Mustang I have in that regard. But drives a whole lot better. The rust was repaired and other minor body stuff fixed. The paint was redone in its original Baikal by a shop near Don that usually works on million dollar Ferrari's and Bugatti's - and as this was going on just when they had a bit less business working on those cars, so they were able to do my car without too much fuss. They did an awesome job. Yeah - I paid for it - but in the end, the body now matched the quality of the rest of the car.
While I did not intend to have a 'trailer queen' quality car - I am glad I did it. And more glad it is finally home.

On a side note, I had been collecting parts off and on since I got the car.
One of them is a new toolbox (that I got when BMW started making them again - several years ago).
One of the others is a new (to me) coolant expansion tank. I bought it from Murray Fowler (Bluemax) when he had a 'garage sale'. I had Don fix it up and install in place of the original one I had. I l love the brass polished look it gives the engine bay.

See pics below....

Don - Thanks for everything.

Attachments

• 20231001_175855.jpg
    20231001_175855.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 626
  • 20231001_175913.jpg
    20231001_175913.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20231001_175930.jpg
    20231001_175930.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 20231001_175949.jpg
    20231001_175949.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 20231001_180020.jpg
    20231001_180020.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 20231001_180055.jpg
    20231001_180055.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 230
  • 20231001_180149.jpg
    20231001_180149.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 20231001_180209.jpg
    20231001_180209.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20231001_180249.jpg
    20231001_180249.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 20231001_180311.jpg
    20231001_180311.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20231001_180417.jpg
    20231001_180417.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 20231001_180432.jpg
    20231001_180432.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 20231001_180437.jpg
    20231001_180437.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another case of Mission Creep with an extraordinarily happy ending. Just like those NCRS judged Corvettes, the build quality appears better than factory. Congrats. How‘s the e23 doing?

Breiti

Reaction score
What a beauty...
I like the rims and color.

Wish I would be at this point and hope that I don't need 6 years.

You must be very happy.

Breiti

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My coupe will likely take twice as along - and I hope it is at least half as nice. Congrats on a beautiful outcome.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How‘s the e23 doing?
Well - that one, while not exactly going to plan - is going well. Kinda.....
There is not really any mission creep as it was my mission to have Don go over and renew the mechanicals -
But I did not expect the issues he found to be as extensive as they are turning out to be.

I knew the car leaked a bit of oil, the gear change mechanism was fuzzy, the central locking didn't work, the AC needing recharging and a few other things.
While the car was not perfect, it was overall in great shape. The engine ran wonderfully and I just thought Don would wave his hand on the car and he would quickly fix what needed to be fixed. And then (about this time) - I'd pick a decent weather weekend to fly down and then I'd drive it home.

Well... While the peripheral issues were being addressed pretty straightforwardly - the fact that this car had never been apart in near 40 years had taken its toll on all the gaskets and... The leaks from the engine were much worse than I thought they were. I knew that there was oil left on the ground everywhere I parked the car - but I didn't know how bad the situation was. Oil pan gasket was almost pushed out from the engine, there were lots of front cover leaks, head gasket leaked externally (not internally - so that was good), rear main also leaked. It was a royal mess under there.

So -
The engine had to be disassembled and reassembled with new gaskets installed. Not really rebuilt, but had the head done 'just because'. The exhaust was (unknown to me) full of holes and was not going to last long. So that had to be replaced. Surprising to me the car has a catalytic converter... That is in good shape. But - all the exhaust downstream was toast. New clutch, radiator, water lines, brake lines, guibo and so on.

The thing that is surprising to me is how much trouble Don has had in getting parts. Some I kind of expected might be a challenge (exhaust comes to mind) - but I guess a 1985 German market E23 with the 2.8 injected motor was only made for a pretty short time and had a bunch of unique parts (before the E32 came in right after). As such - Don has really had to get creative in sourcing parts.

Right now - the engine is out and Don is collecting what he needs to get it all done.
I don't really have an idea as to timeline - although I expect that things will go together pretty quickly once he has all the parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the rest of the comments - Thanks.
Appreciate them all.
Will get the E9 out when the weather is fair and enjoy it when I can.

Thanks again

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A couple of additional notes...

• @bela22 Did the dash wood for me back in 2016/2017 or so. Looks GREAT. I had the hole for the center speaker removed and had the wood run straight across the front. I really like the cleaner look.
  • Speaking of the speaker (or the stereo anyway) - I purchased a reconditioned Frankfurt Blaupunkt radio (from http://www.vintageblau.com ) and installed two speakers on the panel below the rear seat. Not audiophile at all - but when I want to listen to a Mariners game - I can. :) And had the original 1970's look (with aux/Bluetooth input - I think - although I have not played with that yet).
  • I had Don install a USB phone charger in the glove box as I found the cigarette lighter in the console does not play well with the chargers we have these days for cell phones or such. Works great. That allows me to have my phone on the dash connected with a short cord going to the closed glove box (there is enough of a gap around the glove box door that the cord is not pinched in do doing).
  • I do not keep tools in the took kit on the trunk lid as... I just don't want that much weight there.....
  • The car went to Don with a set of decent reproduction Alpina wheels (F/R same size). While there, he worked a deal for me with another car for upgraded staggered (and nicer) repro Alpina wheels - with good Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. That makes my E38, E23 and now the E9 all with those tires. I should write Michelin to see if they want to sponsor me. LOL He placed my wheels and tires with another car that he had. We're all friends . LOL
  • The AC actually blows cold. Decently so.
  • I still have the muscle memory for that whenever I try to start it - I keep wanting to pump the throttle a few times, then I remember it is now fuel injected.
  • Don (Chris actually) installed sound deadening material all throughout the cabin. Not that it is as quiet as my E38 - but it is decently quieter than it used to be. That material and new door and window seals did their job.
  • The headlights... WOW. I have driven it once at night now -and... :) Love them. I believe Don used the OE European set up but ran power for all bulbs straight from the battery (through relays and such). Very nice. The lights here give my E38, 997 and my Escalade a run for its money (and I think is better in some respects). Looking forward to some evening runs when the weather permits.
To anyone considering a journey like this (and this is my second one -BTW)....
Be prepared to have it take longer and cost more than you thought going in. While not really mission creep as mentioned earlier - it is a bit like building a custom home with the contractor asking you every few days "Since we are here, did you want to do.... X Y or Z... ???" or the like. Finding the rust had me evaluate where I wanted the car to be, so that changed my mindset on the path that the car would take.
Once I opened the door to restoring all aspects of this car - I actually was the one that (on more than one occasion) called Don to see about 'can we do this? - or such... Yeah - something like this can get away from you pretty easily.

For me - this was an unexpected situation and I figured I might as well take advantage of. I realize I am SUPER fortuntate to be able to do something like this, so - I am happy to share with everyone here and help anyone that is considering doing something like this (help in choosing what they might want anyway).

From there - Have fun and enjoy these cars.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had this buried in a different thread but thought I would post this info in its own thread (Had a couple of folks say they never saw my earlier post, so - here we are all by itself).....
This is an edited version of what I had earlier....
-------------------------------------------------------
In 2008 I purchased a 1970 CS from Tony (Velocewest here on the E9 forum -if any of the oldtimers remember him).
It was a decent driver quality car - but that was all I was wanting. It was a fun car to have and turned heads everywhere I went.
But it had issues... Trans crunched... engine over heated... heater had to be bypassed as it leaked, there was an electical short in the dash... All sorts of fun stuff you have with a 50 year old car.
I had been visiting with SFDon a few times about what he could do and in 2016 finalized the plan.
The original 2.8L carb'd engine was toast, so I had Don put together an M90 with Megasquirt for me.
Tony provided me a Getrag 5-speed when I bought the car - so that would go in.
The AC as installed was non-functional, so I was going to have Don get that going....
And, I was also having the brakes updated to the later E9 setup. I had the trailing arms as well (also from Tony).
Basically - My intent was to keep the body and interior mostly 'as is' while jazzing up the running gear and taking care of the mechanical stuff.
Basically make it a bit of a hot rod. :)
The car goes down in October of 2017 and he gets started.

So what started out as the intent to have a hot rod with a 20 foot paint job (with nominal expense) became a 'full meal deal' restoration resulting in a car that will look as good as it goes.
The 6 year part of this is a combination of circumstances... on both ends (Don's and mine - and COVID) and in the end worked out as well for both of us.

Well, long story short... To fix the A/C, the dash had to be removed.
In so doing, rust was discovered. That and the other things the folks doing the restoration found that 'should' be fixed had me give the green light to a 'full meal deal' restoration (so to speak).
Those that know Don will smile (and know how this sounded) as I explain how the day unfolded when the rust was discovered.....
~10am - Don calls me to say that as they are removing the dash they found some rust. Concerning, but not crossed the line to having any other impacts.
~Noon - Don texts me that the dash is almost out and more rust found. Still not 'crossed the line'
~3pm - I get a two word text. "You're F*&^ED" LOL

So... Now instead of a 'below the radar' car with a bit of HP under the hood, it is a 100 point concourse worthy car that I will sweat like crazy every time I drive it - LOL....
Kind of like the Mustang I have in that regard. But drives a whole lot better. The rust was repaired and other minor body stuff fixed. The paint was redone in its original Baikal by a shop near Don that usually works on million dollar Ferrari's and Bugatti's - and as this was going on just when they had a bit less business working on those cars, so they were able to do my car without too much fuss. They did an awesome job. Yeah - I paid for it - but in the end, the body now matched the quality of the rest of the car.
While I did not intend to have a 'trailer queen' quality car - I am glad I did it. And more glad it is finally home.

On a side note, I had been collecting parts off and on since I got the car.
One of them is a new toolbox (that I got when BMW started making them again - several years ago).
One of the others is a new (to me) coolant expansion tank. I bought it from Murray Fowler (Bluemax) when he had a 'garage sale'. I had Don fix it up and install in place of the original one I had. I l love the brass polished look it gives the engine bay.

See pics below....

Don - Thanks for everything.

Beautiful car
very similar thing, process, and result baikal
but no Don, no COVID, two years, and some differences
i feel represented in what you said, 10, noon, three, ah those discoveries
the joy stays longer after the price is forgotten…

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh - and one more mod I had Don do...
I found (on eBay I think) another fuel/temp gauge for the E9.
It was converted it to show volts and oil pressure instead.
I removed the clock from the right position on the dash and installed this in its place.

I had that info on my 2002 (VDO gauges installed in a custom console face that I made) and found it very handy to have.
I wanted the same info available to me in the Coupe...
So... Another 'thing' to do when the car was down there.
Here is a pic of the cluster before it was installed.
Right now - none of the idiot lights are doing anything (not hooked up)

Attachments

• Resized_20221202_115404.jpeg
    Resized_20221202_115404.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 191

Mark Jarman

Reaction score
Kevin your Coupe looks awesome! It's great to see another great Coupe "example" kept on the road.

I am on a similar timeline as you - broke my Coupe down for a repaint in Summer 2017 and I'm still re-assembling. I'm also in Seattle so maybe our paths will cross someday.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That would be great. I am up north (near Lake Goodwin - north of Everett) if you get up this way....

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great photos! Happy for you Kevin. Perhaps I am partial, but I love the colour! Quality work always takes longer, and there are the inevitable surprises, but this one was worth the wait! ;) Mike

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow! The pictures make me want to impulse buy an E9. Wait, I already have one.
A car like yours should be used to advertise any product associated with lifestyle...

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
To close the E23 part of this story out - I will be driving south on Monday to get the car. Should be home Wednesday.
I had originally planned to fly down and drive it north. But - I chickened out. There was just so much done that I didn't expect that I'd be much more comfortable trailering it home and using it locally before I go on any longer road trips.
It also works out as there is a local E9 here that is in need of a ride to Alameda, so... I'm full both ways. And I get to help a nice guy....
Will update when it all comes to fruition.... next week.