my 74 initial import

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan,

If it was delivered to Hoffman on 10/10/74 that is the date Hoffman took title to your coupe in Germany. And none were ever delivered to NY, that was the corporate address and all US coupes say Hoffman Motors, NY. The closest port of entry to NY is New Jersey. BTW, you have entered your coupe in the Registry with two different VINs, if you send me your VIN I will remove the one in error. Thank you.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
My coupe is also a '74 and according to Andreas Harz at BMW Group Classic it was delivered 0n Dec. 18th,1974 to BMW of North America.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hoffman lost his distributorship in late 1974 and BMWNA was created in January of 1975 and inherited the assets and inventory of Hoffman Motors. Your coupe probably didn't arrive in the US until January or February. Dec 18, 1974 was the FOB date where title passed to the distributor.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
My US version car was manufactured on July 24th, 1970 and delivered on August 25th, 1970 to a company named J.B.S. in Frankfurt/Main, probably for delivery to a US citizen temporarily living in Germany, according to Andreas Harz.

How common was European Delivery of US model cars? Did Hoffman assist with that or did the buyer have to contact the factory directly?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Ian

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I have a 1970 BMW European Delivery Plan brochure and it looks like BMW had everything one would need to take delivery of their new car in Germany or at one of their main dealers. The order may have been placed through Hoffman but it doesn't look like he would have had much involvement after that, I could be wrong though. He was only the exclusive importer/distributor for the US.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
My US version car was manufactured on July 24th, 1970 and delivered on August 25th, 1970 to a company named J.B.S. in Frankfurt/Main, probably for delivery to a US citizen temporarily living in Germany, according to Andreas Harz.

How common was European Delivery of US model cars? Did Hoffman assist with that or did the buyer have to contact the factory directly?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Ian
There were also US spec cars that were intended for US military personnel serving in Germany. These were built on spec and stored in a warehouse near Frankfurt or Darmstadt IIRC. My dad was able to buy one of these even though he wasn't in the military.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
There were also US spec cars that were intended for US military personnel serving in Germany. These were built on spec and stored in a warehouse near Frankfurt or Darmstadt IIRC. My dad was able to buy one of these even though he wasn't in the military.

This sounds like a possible scenario for my car since it was delivered to a non BMW entity in Frankfurt. I know there were lots of servicemen in Germany. A good friend of mine was married to a serviceman years ago and when I showed her a photo of my car she was ecstatic. "That's my car!" she said. She loved it, but the auto trans failed before they returned to the US so it didn't make sense to ship it back like she wanted.
I Googled J.B.S. in Frankfurt but was unable to find any information on the company.

Ian

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
It's official, I now know my coupe's B-Day Jan 2, 1973! Thank you Julia of the BMW Group Archiv!

Dear Mr Johnson,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic US VIN 2250437 was manufactured on January 02nd, 1973 and delivered on January 18th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

--

BMW Group

Julia Oberndörfer

Archiv, Sammlung, Classic Brand Management

tmason

Reaction score
Craterface,
Take a look at Gold Mtn Nakoma Lodge on the web, It's a Frank Lloyd Wright designed Lodge in Clio,Ca. that was going to be built in Michigan (I think) and is just beautiful! So beautiful that I lost my a$$ on a 5 acre lot in there that I can't give away in today market. His design on this building was to use hand cut Granite bricks that were cut on site with Laborers from Mexico.

tmason

Reaction score
I will counter you, You can have free 2.5 acres and you pay all HOA's and taxes on the property.
Also it needs about a 1000.00 in brush removal this year to meet HOA requirements.

tmason

Reaction score
It really is Chris. I was going to build on this lot but after finding out the hoops you have to jump though to build in California we purchased a foreclosed home to restore instead.