My 1971 2800CS, 5 speed, triple Webers

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One way to find out where the market values your car is to put it on eBay with tons of great pictures including any "warts" and a complete description. Set your reserve to a number you can live with, but start the bidding at $1. The car will bid to the number that the market values the car. If it hits the reserve, everyone's a winner. If it doesn't, at least you know what it is probably worth. At that point, you can sit on it until the market catches up with the price you need, or you can lower your expectations.

The problem with doing that now, is that this car has run a number of times already on eBay and has been advertised here and other places. The pool of eBay potential buyers for E9s knows the car and knows what you have been asking for it (BTW, the knowledge of what you have been asking for the car is likely far more widespread than just the eBay community. It's a small E9 world out there).

I love your car. It is beautiful. I wish you the best of luck selling it.

It's easy to buy a car. It's tough to sell one.

eddiewho

Reaction score
Thanks Dick, good suggestion.
I'll probably let this ad run, someone might get a bargain.
If I still have the car in the spring maybe do BAT or a real ebay auction then....

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would not be surprised watching prices to slightly go down and stabilize.

Several reasons including new generation buying more and more is preferring different models.

I heard people would like to have a classic car but with ABS, AIRBAG and other features nor E9 nor E10 or evn E21 can give basically.

Situation with spare parts (availability and pricing) is not helping either.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful car; not sure why it hasn't sold yet.

Good luck! Maybe Sahara not quite as popular.

I'd maybe vapor blast and clear coat the valve cover, replace the brake reservoir and washer tank (both are pretty yellow).

I think another thing that'd make it pop would be a front CSL spoiler AND some BBS RS wheels, but the latter is pretty $$$ these days. But they add such visual drama IMHO

1675185960693.png

soxrus

Reaction score
Nice updated CS … some seem to know the real asking price … sorry, I don’t

PM me what your looking for direct sale if you don’t want to post publicly

Be Safe, Jimmy

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with "pcarmarket.com"?
Doesn't look like it gets near the traffic BaT gets. There are some nice looking cars on there though. Similar format as BaT looks like. No direct experience with them however. Might be worth it with a reserve and not have to deal with as big of a peanut gallery. Are you looking to sell or buy? Let us know your experience if you use them, I'm curious now.

I was thinking of doing something similar with BMW's only website/auction format. But also mix in some CL finds around the country like BaT used to do, go back to the roots a bit. Still not out of the question with the right people. It kind of fell flat and I didn't pursue.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@eddiewho -Pcarmarket seems to be a good place for rare, very high quality Porsches. I don't think they do as well with other brands. Personally, I'd wait until spring and do a set of great pics and videos. They make a difference.

Also consider the advice above about doing some cleanup in the engine compartment. A little elbow grease can go a long way.

Just my two cents of course...