Momo Retro steering wheel just installed -- comments?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello fellow coupers:

On previous posts, I've complained about the lack of nice looking, OEM consistent, but affordable steering wheel alternatives for the stock wheel. I just installed a new Momo Retro wheel and I'm happy with the results. Yes, the wheel ideally should be 370 - 380 mm to suit this car's interior and dash, but the design of this wheel and nice grip more than makes up for that IMO. As a neat coincidence, the brushed metal spokes nearly match the finish of the upper dash pieces and the white exposed stiching on the rim goes well with my nearly shot Lotus white interior. And, boy, what a difference in steering feel (lot more) and responsiveness (little adjustments now make a bigger difference in your heading). Removal and install time was about 1 hour.

Anyway, for those who are interested, the wheel, plus adaptor for our cars was $263 including shipping. The wheel alone was $196 and the adapter did need a little dremeling before installing to mate up better with the turn signal cancelling mechanism. LTB Motorsports was the vendor.

And that's my only issue with this wheel right now -- the cancelling mechanism is not as good or as consistent as before with the stock wheel: the momo adaptor has the cancelling stub at 9 pm. I need to play around with this a little more.

Here's what it looks like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhyDRZcCJ8&feature=channel_page

p.s. I'm now on the hunt for a good used B35 long block and Getrag 265 5 speed to install later this year. I got a quote from Bavarian of $1,300 delivered. To this I'd add my timing chain cover, distributor, shortened driveshaft and rebuilt Zenith carbs for lowest cost approach in the short term. Longer term I'd rebuild the motor with performance parts and add Motronic.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello fellow coupers:

On previous posts, I've complained about the lack of nice looking, OEM consistent, but affordable steering wheel alternatives for the stock wheel. I just installed a new Momo Retro wheel and I'm happy with the results. Yes, the wheel ideally should be 370 - 380 mm to suit this car's interior and dash, but the design of this wheel and nice grip more than makes up for that IMO. As a neat coincidence, the brushed metal spokes nearly match the finish of the upper dash pieces and the white exposed stiching on the rim goes well with my nearly shot Lotus white interior. And, boy, what a difference in steering feel (lot more) and responsiveness (little adjustments now make a bigger difference in your heading). Removal and install time was about 1 hour.

Anyway, for those who are interested, the wheel, plus adaptor for our cars was $263 including shipping. The wheel alone was $196 and the adapter did need a little dremeling before installing to mate up better with the turn signal cancelling mechanism. LTB Motorsports was the vendor.

And that's my only issue with this wheel right now -- the cancelling mechanism is not as good or as consistent as before with the stock wheel: the momo adaptor has the cancelling stub at 9 pm. I need to play around with this a little more.

Here's what it looks like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhyDRZcCJ8&feature=channel_page

p.s. I'm now on the hunt for a good used B35 long block and Getrag 265 5 speed to install later this year. I got a quote from Bavarian of $1,300 delivered. To this I'd add my timing chain cover, distributor, shortened driveshaft and rebuilt Zenith carbs for lowest cost approach in the short term. Longer term I'd rebuild the motor with performance parts and add Motronic.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Turn signal cancel cam

E9Wayne said:
the adapter did need a little dremeling before installing to mate up better with the turn signal cancelling mechanism. LTB Motorsports was the vendor. And that's my only issue with this wheel right now -- the cancelling mechanism is not as good or as consistent as before with the stock wheel: the momo adaptor has the cancelling stub at 9 pm. I need to play around with this a little more.

A picture of the turn signal cancellation cam might be helpful here.

Early stock wheels had a separate cancellation cam that slid over the steering shaft. (32321118825 ? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3442&mospid=47808&btnr=32_1007&hg=32&fg=30 ) If the need arose, as might occur when a different wheel was installed or when the column switches were reoriented or replaced, the piece could be bent or tweaked. You use the word "adapter" and it is unclear if you mean the the original cancel cam, a separate replacement cam or a cam that might be integral to your new hub.

I had a hub adapter that came with an integrally molded cam that was oriented for a much later car. Some of the newer factory wheels were like that. I just broke it off and inserted the original cancel cam and never had any problems. :wink:

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Turn signal cancel cam

E9Wayne said:
the adapter did need a little dremeling before installing to mate up better with the turn signal cancelling mechanism. LTB Motorsports was the vendor. And that's my only issue with this wheel right now -- the cancelling mechanism is not as good or as consistent as before with the stock wheel: the momo adaptor has the cancelling stub at 9 pm. I need to play around with this a little more.

A picture of the turn signal cancellation cam might be helpful here.

Early stock wheels had a separate cancellation cam that slid over the steering shaft. (32321118825 ? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3442&mospid=47808&btnr=32_1007&hg=32&fg=30 ) If the need arose, as might occur when a different wheel was installed or when the column switches were reoriented or replaced, the piece could be bent or tweaked. You use the word "adapter" and it is unclear if you mean the the original cancel cam, a separate replacement cam or a cam that might be integral to your new hub.

I had a hub adapter that came with an integrally molded cam that was oriented for a much later car. Some of the newer factory wheels were like that. I just broke it off and inserted the original cancel cam and never had any problems. :wink:

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The turn signal switch on my '69 is adjustable...I moved it a little away from the wheel and all turn signal cancelling issues were solved.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The turn signal switch on my '69 is adjustable...I moved it a little away from the wheel and all turn signal cancelling issues were solved.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The wheel looks good!

If you're looking for stock components from older BMW's, you can try www.car-part.com. Its a search for used parts listed on wrecking yard databases nationwide. Its a good place to start anyway, and you may be able to find a yard close to you.

Dan

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The wheel looks good!

If you're looking for stock components from older BMW's, you can try www.car-part.com. Its a search for used parts listed on wrecking yard databases nationwide. Its a good place to start anyway, and you may be able to find a yard close to you.

Dan

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OEM cam or hub adaptor?

Thanks all,

Nashville Cat -- you raise a great point. I didn't think about keeping the OE cam, that was adjustable, on the wheel since I assumed the molded in cam with the adaptor would work. I will need to remove the wheel next weekend (it's one click off dead center anyway) and inspect again. It sounds like some aftermarket wheel users have removed the cam that comes with the adaptor in favor of using the OE cam, like NC?

If I'm not mistaken, my original OE cam was mounted at 6 o'clock before I removed it (sadly, didn't take a photo of that before I removed it).

Thanks again

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OEM cam or hub adaptor?

Thanks all,

Nashville Cat -- you raise a great point. I didn't think about keeping the OE cam, that was adjustable, on the wheel since I assumed the molded in cam with the adaptor would work. I will need to remove the wheel next weekend (it's one click off dead center anyway) and inspect again. It sounds like some aftermarket wheel users have removed the cam that comes with the adaptor in favor of using the OE cam, like NC?

If I'm not mistaken, my original OE cam was mounted at 6 o'clock before I removed it (sadly, didn't take a photo of that before I removed it).

Thanks again

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I'll say it again....the turn signal switch is adjustable. The spec is .3mm between the cam and the turn signal cancelling arm.

Grinding, replacing shouldn't be necessary.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I'll say it again....the turn signal switch is adjustable. The spec is .3mm between the cam and the turn signal cancelling arm.

Grinding, replacing shouldn't be necessary.