Mirror repair

Bwana

Reaction score
Well, time now to try and fix the driver side mirror. At first I thought it was a simple job of gluing it back in with silicon but, on further inspection, turns out the glass is in there with a spring behind it and held in with the crumbling white stuff. Was the white stuff some sort of plastic originally?

P7270313_zpsc9e2a8b5.jpg

If I fool with it any more, the glass will probably pop out. Any way to repair this? It looks like the same mounting method that Coupeguy uses on his repacement mirrors.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i do not know your style mirror in detail, but mine, the flag type has a black plastic frame, that covers and holds the glass, the frame is essential to do this
in my case there is no spring or glue, nothing

you must find a new white plastic frame

if you can not find it any other way i think i will be able to find them, not only the white frame for your trapezoidal type but the black gasket for the foot of the mirror

i did this on my mirrors, in both of them the frame was virtually destroyed and the glass was at risk of falling off

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have the white plastic rings to sell separately, nor does anyone else AFAIK. I think a glass shop could glue the mirror in by removing the spring and putting silicone glue around the edge. Not pretty but functional I believe. Good luck. I have never tried it but wonder if you could use a small diameter rubber tube or solid rubber piece with the spring in place to take the place of the molded plastic ring.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well, i can check my source for those white plastic frame rings, at least they were available two months ago together with the black ones that i did use in my flag type mirrors

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
This might be worth a try. There is a kit for Citroen mirrors to do this exact repair. The seal isn't exactly like the BMW one but it's what I would try before I do anything else or trash the mirror. I've used it for my 2CV's mirror and it's tricky to put on but works as advertised. It's likely not the same length but it can simply be cut to the required length. The citroen mirror has a 42 cm perimeter, give or take. Find it at :
http://www.retrospecparts.com/citroen-parts/73-mirrorcool-trim-kit-g22-274-275-438.html

mirrorcool-trim-kit-g22-274-275-438.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
white frames NOS for trapezoidal mirrors

these NOS white frames will refresh the image of your trapezoidal mirrors

the set can include the base black plastic gaskets for the mirror foot

all parts are handed, so need LH / RH