Meyle rubber propsahft fail..

Marc-M

Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem before?

The rubber prop shaft joint has given way it was a new Meyle 314 261 1101 part that was £55.00.

It went with a Bang…..

The original manufacture was a German one made by Goetze that I took off the car when I restored it – did not use it as it was probably circa 1980s…

I have now splashed out and got the Original OEM German one but its £160.00…

Has anyone had this problem before?

When they normally fail, the rubber delaminates – not the steel shatters…..
fail 1.jpg
fail 2.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Meyle is a decent brand, better than MTC. It’s still just a $30.00 Guibo.
German rubber being what it is, I prefer the reinforced versions over the “grenade”

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's quite the failure. Anyone seen this before?

Regarding the M5 part. Does it fit the factory 4 speed/M30 setup? Anyone have the part number handy? Thanks.

EDIT: Seems to be PN 26112226527. If it is, there are BMW genuine, Meyle and Febi. Which one is deemed "the best"?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original 4 speed Guibo is 45mm
The M5 Guibo is 35mm
For those using the long nosed drive shaft and wanting to use the 35mm M5 Guibo, you have choices if the tranny output shaft bottoms out in the nose of the driveshaft-

there are options.
Drill the nose..
Cut the shaft….
Do what BMW did when they needed a little extra length- use an extra thick washer.
(we use head bolt washers)
457AA48D-30A2-4D71-92EF-6FEC6D80143F.jpeg

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The M5 Guibo is 35mm
For those using the long nosed drive shaft and wanting to use the 35mm M5 Guibo, you have choices if the tranny output shaft bottoms out in the nose of the driveshaft-

there are options.
Drill the nose..
Cut the shaft….
Do what BMW did when they needed a little extra length- use an extra thick washer.
(we use head bolt washers)
Being averse to drilling my nose or cutting my shaft, I used head bolt washers from a MBZ. They worked great.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The M5 Guibo is 35mm

there are options.
Drill the nose..
Cut the shaft….
(we use head bolt washers)View attachment 157737
Thanks Don. Any preferred brand?

Marc-M

Reaction score
The M5 Guibo is 35mm

there are options.
Drill the nose..
Cut the shaft….
(we use head bolt washers)View attachment 157737

Mine did not have the part no 11 spacer washer when i took it to bits - plus the bolts i have ( picture ) only just show threds through the nut.
What i have forgot - and now its a pain - is washers on the bolt end as per the picture (12) - looks like 2 big jubilee clips to compress the joint...........dam.....

YoAdrian

Reaction score
Hi @Marc-M, mine also went out recently, I only discovered it whilst investigating an intermittent clunk sound when releasing the clutch. Was a PITA to replace.

Regards,
Adrian

Attachments

• 20230411_174538.jpg
    20230411_174538.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230411_174523.jpg
    20230411_174523.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230416_172847.jpg
    20230416_172847.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was just at Metric Mechanic yesterday discussing this very issue. Jim Road definitely recommends this M5 Quibo.
We did some fitment on my transmission, without the driveshaft, unfortunately but it’s stock. What he did, was change the rear flange as he had a number of them that he uses in his rebuilds. After changing to a thinner flange, there’s may be a millimeter difference in height.
Course I won’t know precisely until I test it with the driveshaft, but the transmission is stock as is the shaft, so it should work. There’s got to be someplace at the end of the nose to the shaft, at least a millimeter.
This site had a very good price on the bilstein and five Weibo(stupid Google wants to keep saying Weibo instead of Weibo,see.) never use them before so I’ll wait and see what I get but it was only nine dollars shipping.