mechanical fuel pump - pierburg ???

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
bear in mind this if you need to order for a new pierburg mechanical pump:

if you order the adequate part number for this pump, you will find a pierburd pump offered in several places,...e-bay, jaimic, bmw,...

it will be in some cases the old-style rubber membrane fuel pump by pierburg,

be aware that what you will get, will NOT be a pierburg pump, read this and tell me your opinion:

you will receive a pierburg box, closed with a pierburg seal, and inside:......a pump: "made in italy", and with the brand name machined out:

P4040001.jpg

P40400022.jpg

P40400062.jpg

i am not telling you that the pump is not good, BUT...THIS IS NOT A PIERBURG !

what do you think ?

Honolulu

Reaction score
If you specifically ordered a Pierburg pump, and got a no-name unit instead, the seller is fraudulent and you should return it for a full refund plus shipping. Hammer down!

Dave L

Reaction score
Pierburg pump

I saw a discussion on the 2002faq site. seems someone there is having the same dilema with a Pierburg pump. I would assume that the pump on the 2002 and that on the CS are different, but just in case they are not... one reply stated:

"originally two different pumps fitted to 2002s from the factory, both made by Pierburg. The early type resembled yours--it can be dismantled and rebuilt with a VW Beetle rebuild kit--in fact it's very similar to the air cooled Beetle pump. There's a similar aftermarket pump made in Italy.

When the 2 bbl carb was fitted in late '72, the pump style changed to a sealed, non-rebuildable unit. Outputs are approximately the same; however both the pushrod and the bakelite spacer are different."

The discuss there is located at: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,356125/

Maybe this helps a little, probably very little;-)

Dave L

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fuel Pump

Make note, the pump in your picture has had the manufacturer's name milled off. The makers of parts for European cars often sell the same item in the aftermarket as what goes to the dealer. They'll use an end mill to grind off logo's, i.e BMW, VW, Mercedes.
Most of the new pumps I've seen have a stamped steel top rather than cast as in your picture, NOS maybe?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you specifically ordered a Pierburg pump, and got a no-name unit instead, the seller is fraudulent and you should return it for a full refund plus shipping. Hammer down!

i specifically ordered a pierburg pump, and i got it from pierburg, original box with a pierburg seal

what to complain about ?

i see no case

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it a Pierberg, that's what I paid for.

I just got the same issue. Ordered a Pierberg mechanical pump and got the old style like your photo with name etched out, exact match to yours. I do think this is misleading and am not happy. Has you pump held out so far.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just got the same issue. Ordered a Pierberg mechanical pump and got the old style like your photo with name etched out, exact match to yours. I do think this is misleading and am not happy. Has you pump held out so far.

yes, i throw it away in my shelf, and bought a original NOS real PIERBURG mechanical pump. i have a source for that, a friend in germany gets such goddies for me

if you interested i can ask him for another one

regards

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i throw it away in my shelf, and bought a original NOS real PIERBURG mechanical pump. i have a source for that, a friend in germany gets such goddies for me

if you interested i can ask him for another one

regards

Say some more about getting the NOS pumps.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found one on ebay which states it is Pierberg (unless they intentionally spelled it Pierburg) and they list it with the part number that comes directly from Real OEM.com. 123 bucks and free shipping. It seemed like a no brainer. I will see what the seller has to say about my issue ie, if it is aftermarket or not.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
new old stock, in the original box, i installed one and bought another one for the future

dont know if more available

i can check

"Future" is my middle name, and also where I plan to spend most of my time...

Putting together your jesuite generosity with your great habit of labeling and documenting things I can visualize you putting an "Arde" tag on that pump.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
"Future" is my middle name, and also where I plan to spend most of my time...

Putting together your jesuite generosity with your great habit of labeling and documenting things I can visualize you putting an "Arde" tag on that pump.

i will try to please you in a jesuitic way, lets speak in a close future (today is a holly day), after i make some calls to good "hoch" friends
regards

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I called the seller on my pump and they called theri distributor. As DougE said, they claimed they mill the name off because it says BMW or VW etc. They stand by it being a real Pierburg and the seller gave me a 2 year backing on it so I will stick with it for now.

What still baffles me is my old pump. I took it out, manually pushed the rear plunger (on the pump, not the one on the car) and hooked it to 2 containers with some gas. The thing worked fine, pulling from one and depositing into the other. Yet no go when on the car. Can the rear plunger be so hard to push that it won't pump on the car? I ask cause a) it was a lot harder to pump than the new one I bought and b) the back of the pump in the pictuer above has grease all around the plunger.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I called the seller on my pump and they called theri distributor. As DougE said, they claimed they mill the name off because it says BMW or VW etc. They stand by it being a real Pierburg and the seller gave me a 2 year backing on it so I will stick with it for now.

that is NOT true !, they mill it off because it says the italian brand that made them, i dont remember now, but a forum member here placed some pics a long time ago of the original italian brand, thus IT IS NOT A PIERBURG ! :p

What still baffles me is my old pump. I took it out, manually pushed the rear plunger (on the pump, not the one on the car) and hooked it to 2 containers with some gas. The thing worked fine, pulling from one and depositing into the other. Yet no go when on the car. Can the rear plunger be so hard to push that it won't pump on the car? I ask cause a) it was a lot harder to pump than the new one I bought and b) the back of the pump in the pictuer above has grease all around the plunger

i cut open my old broken pump, you have two different compartments the outside is the plunger and spring and rod, the inner is a sealed body with two metallic membranes, in my first pump i found the plunger to be in very bad condition because the yellow bushing was destroyed, i will try to post a link to an old thread in which i tried to solve it...

check this repair i made...

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8568