Marchal driving lights

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Real McCoy vs Chinese copy

Different than DQ's. DSL is incorrect, NOS Marchals are easy to find (as are Cibie's, Hella, Bosch et al), just look long enough on eBay or check with the European guys who deal in the vintage ones and pretty much any style is available in various degrees of condition and price. Yes the Chinese repros are out there, I almost bought some before I decided to find the real deal. That's twice now in the last week I've read him poo-poo someone else's lights (AMHIK).

Yes, Daniel never holds back with an opinion, that's certain!

"Hard to find" indeed - but so is anything 50 years old in the lighting field.

I found the other Amplilux from my set, covered in 'Stongard' headlight film, cloudy and yellowed beyond hope. It's got a cracked lens, but all the pieces there I believe. It was a real benefit to have both bulbs lighted for High Beams, no overheating with the separation of the two bulbs in two reflectors. Very European. I had to install relays to make it work that way, nothing new for me. Certainly not rocket science.

Weird Story - I found a third one sitting on the bench at a back-alley motorcycle repair shop, bought it on the spot. I think he asked $25. THAT was a score!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello! IEDIT -- Just heard back from DSL.

Apparently these are being copied by a (guess who) Chinese firm, as you may expect.

I quote:
"Maybe the ones you linked are in fact NOS actual real Marchal. But the odds of finding actual real NOS Marchals is relatively quite tiny."

So, if these are the genuine article, undoubtedly they are a score! but ...

I would love to analyze the beam pattern, see if they are 'Sacrebleu!' ou 'Formidable!'
Do you have any pics of their output pattern against a flat wall at night?

let your friend have a beam pattern:

prueb_zps8809135d.jpg

160220134989_zpsec644e34.jpg

yellow is the marchal, white-blue are the highbeams
160220134992_zpsd6042dda.jpg

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
up against the wall ...

let your friend have a beam pattern; yellow is the marchal, white-blue are the highbeams
Wow!

even as close to the wall / garage door as they are, it's fairly certain those are driving lights. So, ... 'Formidable!'

Thanks for the shots, dQ. Now, do blue and yellow combine to make pure white?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
let your friend have a beam pattern:

You are missing an expletive before "beam pattern" my friend.

IMHO the yellow pattern shows two hemispheres, Ying and Yang, clearly a chinese repro.
A French pattern would show as a Fleur-de-Lis.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
I got your #$%^&* beam pattern, riiiight heeeeere!

Heh heh heh heh heh!

Hey, I'm going upstairs for a hot cup of cocoa, it snowed a foot here today... and I STILL got three sets of 2002 round tail lights delivered that I gotta work on.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I couldn't resist. My nipples are bigger than your nipples! Just put these on my NK, 7" diameter. Stainless mounting brackets that can also be used on a coupe I think, will have to check, they attach to the vertical hood hinge support behind grilles. Yes, they are reproductions, but you can't tell with a magnifying glass, came with option to use H3 bulb in driving light or standard 55w bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 201

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
let´s go nipples !

OK, I couldn't resist. My nipples are bigger than your nipples! Just put these on my NK, 7" diameter. Stainless mounting brackets that can also be used on a coupe I think, will have to check, they attach to the vertical hood hinge support behind grilles. Yes, they are reproductions, but you can't tell with a magnifying glass, came with option to use H3 bulb in driving light or standard 55w bulbs.

hi chris, nice lights, that was the other version that i considered, the one with the small marchal badge on top, very very nice, and good mounting plates, as you say it should be checked if that assembly is possible on the e9

a question, can you find any homologationmarks in the glass ? similar to an E2, or E3, followed by a number,...

regards

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

If it works on an E9, it's an interesting alternative to drilling a hole in the bumper. Does the bracket have enough stiffness to keep the lights steady for those of us that have to drive on pretty rough roads?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DQ,

I think these are too large for a coupe, the ones you and Steve have are perfect. Only A in a small circle followed by 1414 on the left side and the same A and 1496 on the right. Brackets definitely won't fit a coupe, just looked. These are stainless steel and very stiff but you still get a slight jiggle. They are $40 and sold by someone on the 2002FAQ site, I can put you in touch with him for anyone interested.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ,

I think these are too large for a coupe, the ones you and Steve have are perfect. Only A in a small circle followed by 1414 on the left side and the same A and 1496 on the right. Brackets definitely won't fit a coupe, just looked. These are stainless steel and very stiff but you still get a slight jiggle. They are $40 and sold by someone on the 2002FAQ site, I can put you in touch with him for anyone interested.

thanks chris,

i am happy with my setup, yes, and happy about mounting them on top of the bumper, bacause i already had the holes in it

thanks for confirming the inevitable of that marks (an A in a circle), as the only trace of a homologation mark, not enough for the homologation here in spain

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a proposal, nned some help

i am in the need of a pair of VERY CHEAP front driving lights, no problem if they are damaged, dented, chrome in bad condition,...

the only requirement is that they MUST HAVE an europeen homologation mark such as E2, E3,.... visible in the glass ( as far as i know every hella lamps will have one )

anyone have a pair ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
where to buy original MARCHAL lights

well, finished issue,

forget about chinese repros, if you want not only a shinny look, but a powerful light pattern, you must go for original, marchal, cibie, hellas, carello,...

010220134909_zps1c5e67c0.jpg

Last edited: