Map View in Registry...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I added a map to the E3 Registry. Take a look and let me know if you think its a good idea or should be tossed...

mapviewmarkup.jpg

http://www.bmwe3registry.com

Dan

johnl

Reaction score
The only issue I see with this is when you have a cluster of cars in one area can you actually "ID" them individually? Beyond that it does give a good perspective on how the accountable examples are spread over the world.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only issue I see with this is when you have a cluster of cars in one area can you actually "ID" them individually? Beyond that it does give a good perspective on how the accountable examples are spread over the world.

You should be able to zoom in and out like a regular map...

corvair kid

Reaction score
Love it!

Given the current concentration, clearly a NorCal E3 meetup is called for. :cool:

Not to clutter the site up with too many links, but one resource that might also be of interest is this breakdown of E3 VINs:

http://www.bmw-e3-club.de/e3bmw/fahrgestellnummer.html

It doesn't get too specific, but it gives ranges and explains why, for example, my car (a 4-speed built in 12/72) seemingly has a lower production number than John's (automatic built in 5/72). Considering how many of our cars no longer have the original engines/transmissions, it is also useful in determining how a car was originally configured.

The site has lots of other technical information as well, but it's all in German.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm open to expanding the site to include whatever you guys think is relevant. The comment about local guys meeting is kind of what I was hoping for with a map view, its nice to see where people are located.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this available for e9's? It's cool.

I considered this a while back but it would be better to create the list from the E9 Registry since it also lists the type of car the owner has. If the database can export a list of users, locations and vehicle description, it would be fairly easy to create a map.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just entered my info for the E3 registry. Thanks for doing the registry. The map view is cool.

AG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And you may have noticed that in the e9 Registry many owners don't list a name or even an alias, good luck finding them! Seems a bit strange to me.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
And you may have noticed that in the e9 Registry many owners don't list a name or even an alias, good luck finding them! Seems a bit strange to me.

My plan is, if the owner doesn't want to share any info then they won't end up on the map...

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

Thanks for all the hard work on this. I have not been on this site much just been busy building the E3, work, and other stuff. Anyhow, I will be uploading my info soon as well as sharing all the pics I took from Targa CA. Will have to wait until next year to take the Bav. Hoping to have it finished in a couple months.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
I like it, Dan. And yes, there will be certain areas where the markers will be highly concentrated, but then we all know where that will be. Same place as if a map indicated Porsche, Ferrari or '32 Ford Roadsters. Seeing as how I'm a "Middle o' the Country" guy, I might find a nearby kindred spirit.

Nice work.

Jim