Manual steering box

Trucopey

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know who might have a non power steering box for sale?

Alex

Trucopey

Reaction score
Manual steerin box

Does anyone have any leads? I beleive that they came in csl, 2.5cs, 2500 sedans. Does anyone know where there are any 2.5cs or 2500 sedans parts cars? Thank you for any help.

Alex

Orangener

Reaction score
How urgent is your search?
I have one installed in my "Orange", but want to change back to power-steering in 2 or 3 months.
Its complete with the longer steering column, ready to install, and works fine.
But I drive too often in the City of Vienna, thats the reason why I get back to hydraulic assistance. :cry:

Trucopey

Reaction score
Sounds real good

The time frame sounds good to me. I am still in Iraq and my deployment ends in 3 months. I am pming you for details.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Trucopey

Before you switch, have you considered disconnecting the power steering pump and hoses and run without boost? I've thought about doing this to see what the resistance is like. I have a 76 2002 and once you are moving it's no problems but wonder what a bigger block over the front wheels would feel like. There was another member that did this but I can't remember who or what his comments were.

Doug

"Manual" Power Steering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat
Hello Decoupe, Thanks for the question. I thought pretty carefully about how to set-up the brakes so that I could have those sidedraft Webers hang out unfettered by the big power-brake booster. I constructed a mount for and adjustable dual M/Cyl mount from aluminum plate and thick walled aluminum tubing. THis mount bolts to the 4 bolt flange on the end of the stock pedal box/ master cylinder mount. I found a Wilwood/tilton 60 degree master cylinder mount, but I had to cut and re-weld it to make it an opposite hand if you will. This picture below was taken before the motor went in. it shows the vertical flange of my fabricated mount bolted to the stock BMW mount at the left, with two big 1" square alumimum tubes coming off of this flange. the reveresed wilwood 60 degree mount with the twin M/C' are bolted through these two big square tubes, and then through to the fenderwell. I needed to brace the entire mount against the inner fenderwell in order to keep flex down and a firm pedal when I'm "standing" on the brakes. Pedal feel is good and it keeps the entire brake set up "low and away" from the carbs, venturi stacks and filters.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6dualm-cyl.jpg

THis photo shows the Power-steering box and the brake mount flange. I used the stock power steering box because it had a quicker ratio than anything I could find. (15 to 1 or nearabouts If I recall correctly) I hooked up the banjo fittings that connect to the box to a gravity fed power steering fluid reservoir- jut to keep out moisture and keep the box lubricated with p/s fluid. I don't believe this is a mechanical "no-no" i.e. running a p/s box without a pressurized feed of fluid, but so far so good.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/Oct28051.jpg

Regards, Doug B
'Rat

Found the post - Trackrat aka Doug B are you still around and can you give me a comparison to a 2002 as far as feel?

Doug C

Last edited: