Malaga Coupe

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know! I probably will.
I'd not... IMHO Its the kind of thing that can open up a whole side discussion that will have no positive effect on the outcome. My 2 cents.

The goal is to sell the car, period. Anything that might deter from that goal (no matter how seemingly innocuous) is better left out...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No. Nada. Nope. Never. Don't.

It is not going to conjure up visions of sugar plums dancing in the heads of potential buyers. If I was spending $150. large I would run away. No one can know if you did it once(more than enough for some) or sometimes, or whenever.

And what else does it imply about the owner?

We all know who you are and how you treat your coupe. But it does not go much further than us.

Steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
41463267-4EE7-4A04-AA98-078EEC2C765F.jpeg
AE9E3CFD-2A7D-4CF6-9496-53E4C13BCB12.jpeg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
LOL.... It's been ages since I drove over the hill. Cool pics.
Too bad the road is not open (storm damage).

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nooooooo!!!!
I agree do not post this picture. I may be the least qualified about E9 and BAT but with over 45 years of sales that is something I am an expert at. This picture to me screams RUST. Yes it also screams FUN but as Terry said it just opens a whole new conversation that for your car does not need to be addressed.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was reading these last few comments and thinking: I can imagine, in fact I bet, that once Chris drove his E9 through river water (same spot as many others did I might add) and NOT salt wintery snow or sea salt …. Once Chris got home and after grabbing his favorite Pinot , he meticulously (once again) got under the car and wipe it off, inspect, and polished the lines, when the dust of 6 months in the garage has been washed off. While at it, he made sure the yellow factory hand brushed marking on the CV joints are still intact and ride height of the shocks look all even, and look at the condition of the anodized , or zinc plated clamps.

It is not the salt water or rain, or river water that does the damage! It’s how you take care of the car after(or before) such types of driving. Cars were designed to go through elements. I know what you are thinking , yes it is an E9 , it was rusting before it was even assembled. But if so then this should be a moot point.
I am sure there will plenty of pictures showing the condition of undercarriage! If I am spending six figures on a classic car as my toy, I go beyond of the question if this car has ever been driven in rain , snow , or river for that matter. In fact it would be naive of me to think otherwise for a car that is over 50 years old. That reminds me of a friend that once wanted to sell me a property with prospect of a great future in middle of the Florida Everglades.That was 42 years ago , and we are still good friends….

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
like many of you I had the pleasure of seeing this car in Chris’s Garage in April of 2019. One look at the car and specially the engine bay told me about the love that Chris has had for his car for nearly two decades….. something is telling me I need to stop now… otherwise I will typing for ever…

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I never have considered such a show off behavior. Said that I am now tempted to do the same one day without anyone looking, as long as I know I have enough time to run to the shop and put the car on the lift and air gun, wax sprey, cleaning cloth, and T-9 plastic squirt all ready …
I wonder what would be more trilling ,this or sky diving I have been considering. But wait, life insurance doesn’t cover Sky diving ! Ok decision made easy.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
put the car on the lift and air gun, wax sprey, cleaning cloth, and T-9 plastic squirt all ready …
If an E9 is restored completely, it will have modern surface finishes on all under carriage and inner sheet metal areas, plus no old undercoating, Lokari fender splash shields and cavity rust preventative treatment. In that case, it will be fine getting wet like this on a regular basis. I have a classic car that was restored in this way (not an E9), and in 11 years of driving it in rain or shine, asphalt or dirt/gravel, it has zero rust.

If it's unrestored but not rusty (like my E9) or superficially restored, then it need to avoid water like the wicked witch of the west.

Last edited: