Making Keys

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I only have one key with my new ignition switch. It is a Preba(sp) with code on it. Is there a place here in the states that can make two keys from the code alone? Do not want to send the only key.

Steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW will sell you a new key with the four digit code you provide or Keys4Classics in Oz will do it with the code or even a photo but code is best. Call a few locksmiths, if you have a blank key someone may have the drill to make a new one. We have a local locksmith who does this so they are around.

Honolulu

Reaction score
A few Benzes of similar age used the same key blank, etc... that crew may help you to source a key.

IIRC (and this has been discussed here before) the little holes in the key came in only 3 sizes, and the lengthwise spacing was the same between each.

Due of standardization, I have read that a person familiar with the setup could make a key from just a photo of your key, but haven't tried this. Hearsay abounds!

TREMK

Reaction score
Hi Steve, Had the same problem when I got my cs. I called around and ended up at Otto's BMW in West Chester Pa. They were great, just had to give them a picture and the code. Did'nt have to hand over my only key. Near me if you need me to do anything. I'll PM you with more info as I find it. How was New Hope? Many cars? Mike Maguire

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
Last year I had two extra keys made by Keys4Classics. I didn't have my key code, so I emailed a photo of my key to verify that they could work with that. They made two PERFECT keys and even told me what my key code is! They have Pebra/BMW blanks with the BMW Roundel imprinted. Be sure to order using that blank or you'll end up with a "generic" Pebra key blank. I ordered on July 25th. Keys were shipped on July 28th and arrived (from Australia!) in about a week! I highly recommend Keys4Classics.