M30B35 in Moss Landing Pick and Pull

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Not mine - no association. It's in a junkyard in Moss Landing

d6e0cac2-aed0-4634-a535-d3a6dc68c2eb.JPG

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For all you Steinbeck fans, be sure to check out the restored Western Flyer while you are at Moss Landing. The Western Flyer is the boat that John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts took from Monterey to the Gulf of California in 1940. One of Steinbeck's most loved books was written about this trip... The Log from the Sea of Cortez. The boat was found sunk in Washington State, and restored at the Pt. Townsend ship yards. Here it is in Newport, OR, on it's way to its new home in Monterey.

Western Flyer copy.jpg

It is at Moss Landing only temporarily to have some work completed.

Western Flyer Foundation

My favorite line from the book...

"It is advisable to look from the tide pool to the stars and then back to the tide pool again."

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
For all you Steinbeck fans, be sure to check out the restored Western Flyer while you are at Moss Landing. The Western Flyer is the boat that John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts took from Monterey to the Gulf of California in 1940. One of Steinbeck's most loved books was written about this trip... The Log from the Sea of Cortez. The boat was found sunk in Washington State, and restored at the Pt. Townsend ship yards. Here it is in Newport, OR, on it's way to its new home in Monterey.
Nice. Was the work recently completed? They were still restoring it when we were in Pt. Townsend last March.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think the restoration might have been finished even before March. It was then moved to Seattle to have the hybrid powertrain and other mechanical systems installed (8 hour electric range plus John Deere diesel). One of the communications I have says "On March 6, the much anticipated Transfluid hybrid drive system arrived from Italy and was lowered into the boat and installed." Sea trials were in July. In October it sailed to Monterey for the big Nov 4 homecoming celebration. Then back up the coast a few miles to Moss Landing where it was last week when I saw it, to have the classroom finished in the former fish hold.

IMG_0057.JPG

EDIT: It was actually finished in Pt. Townsend and towed to Seattle on June 29, 2022

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
LOL

I grew up in Salinas and 'everything' John Steinbeck was all over town. Funny how that was such a total reversal from when he was writing and the locals knew of the local people that he used as characters in his stories - he just changed the names and a few details - but folks in town knew of who he was writing about. Many of those persons were not presented in the best light... Ummm.....

In the mid 1970's - my mom volunteered at the Steinbeck House for one weekend (if I recall correctly) but then did not go back. She was not 'local' enough for the ladies there (at least as my mom felt) as we had just moved down from San Carlos....
When I was in high school - all the English classes were full of mandatory reading of a variety of his books and short stories - of which now these many years later I remember absolutely nothing of. LOL

But still - Fun to see the central coast highlighted with his storytelling. There was a pick-up that he traveled in also. I think that has been found as well.... don't know what happened to that though.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was visiting friends in Pt. Townsend, went to the shipyard to a hole in the wall for breakfast, here's my favorite ship!

IMG_4062.JPG