Lower firewall insulation: NLA? (attn: SFDON and Ives)

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In searching the archives on discussions about this part, there seems to be some people that claim they've bought it. Others say it's NLA. First, let's be clear on what I'm talking about. It's part #6 in the diagram below. It's the thick 1-2 cms, foam part which has part of it aluminized around the exhaust area, and adheres to the engine compartment side of the firewall

ScreenHunter_01%2520Apr.%252003%252008.21.jpg

To further clarify, part #4 below, the upper firewall insulation, is available and DQ and others have posted about installing it. This is not the part I'm asking about.

ScreenHunter_02%2520Apr.%252003%252008.26.jpg

The description of part #6 is SOUND INSULATING DASH PANEL and there are two part numbers that fit that description: 51481811933 and 934. The "Teilekatalog"/orange books/blue parts binders identify 933 and 934 as both being for LHD cars with 934 being for the "right side" and 933 for the "left side". Further, the weight is listed as .58 Lbs., which seems too light for that part.

Has anyone actually bought any of these parts and can post photos and clarify the difference between 934 and 933.

SFDON posted on 3/26/11:

"I installed both pieces this year- cost was about 500 bucks from the dealer

04 Sound insulation 1 51481810724 $270.65
06 SOUND INSULATING DASH PANEL 51481811933 $205.24

I suggest looking at Coupekings rendition - available at a major discount and very nice quality."

Don, can you clarify...?

Ives on 3/30/11 posted:

"Chritopher,

Last year when I pulled my 3.0 and replaced it with a FI 3.5 I also had the firewall insulation replaced, both upper and lower. The lower set cost me $199.00 and it was a special order through Double 02 Salvage, Inc. Marshall placed the order and his tel. # is 510 782 2002 in Oakland, Ca., USA. The website is www.double02salvage.com. I don't have a part # but I'm relatively sure that you'll find one in the Real OEM website. We were all surprised when both the upper and lower sets showed up because at least one was listed as a NLA.

Regards, Jon"

Ives, you out there... pics?

Thanks for you help in clarifying this.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Getbmwparts.com shows $133 for either part number, give them a call. The passenger side is toast on mine but don't know if you can get it in with engine in place or at least down pipes.

Chris

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, 99.9% of dealers are clueless when it comes to parts like this. They'll be happy to take the order but have no idea what it looks like. You had posted a while ago that the part was NLA... BTW, don't get me started with Tischer; maybe I'll save it for the feedback thread...:mad: An extra 10% discount isn't worth the aggravation.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I buy these all the time- Jon can send you a pic.
Cost is high but the result is great

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Firewall Insulation

Luis,

I went through my book of receipts and found the one for the engine bay insulation. I paid for the item on May 26, 2010 and it cost $199.00 plus tax. Marshall at Double 02 is not one for detail so I do not have the part# on the receipt. I remember getting the insulation, which is black, and is item #6 on the schematic that is pointed out. It has a very spcific cut pattern that fits perfectly around fabrications coming out of the firewall. It also has a clip at the top which is used to fasten it on to the top of the firewall.

I would send pictures but between the shock tower strut, ECV/hoses and the engine there is not much to see of it except the blackness of the foam.

I hope this helps you convince yourself that it is the part you are looking for.

Regards, Jon

siscobmw

Reaction score
Luis,i bought those insulation panel under #4 ,formy 3,3 l sedan,can't remember the price and part number...but for e3 models item #4 is the insulation for the inside..installed those panels before i put back the dashboard and the center console in place.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I successfully ordered firewall insulation, both 933 and 934, item 6 on diagram 51/42, this morning from a US BMW dealer who said it was in stock in Germany.