Low mile Insight

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
These electric and hybrid cars...one needs to drive I think 60k miles before they start to break even on gas mileage savings w/the extra cost of the hybrid power.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The three cars in my family now have 70K, 130K and 125K. (All miles). Generally I'm not a huge fan of hybrids due to the added complexity. I am a fan of a few Hondas though. the NSX, GSR TypeR and the Insight in particular due to the lengths Honda went to to get these cars to market as the engineers intended. All three were probably built at a loss.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
Electricity cost for my Imiev is about $25/month for my commute. The same commute in my C30 would be more than four time as much just for gas. The Imiev has needed no repairs in the six years since new, and maintenance consisted of checking tire pressures, topping up the windshield washer fluid and occasionally replacing wipers and cabin air filter. The Volvo is a year older, but in that time it's needed oil changes, brakes, shocks and struts, a timing belt, a/c compressor, and a front suspension rebuild. Maybe the Volvo is driven twice as much because of weekend trips, but operating costs are hugely more expensive. The Volvo has much better heat in the winter however.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds like a great value. Never seen an Imiev. Guess they weren't sold in Canada. It wouldn't work for me though as I park my Subaru on the street and depend on it in very severe rural winter conditions. Always set out with a full tank of gas in the winter. Thinking about trading in the MDX in the family and buying a used Mercedes GLK diesel.
I hear they get fantastic fuel mileage.