Looking for LSD

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The kind that will fit into a 1974 BMW E9.

If anyone has any leads on a good reasonably priced unit please let me know.

Thanks

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are getting very scarce and based on current prices they are going way up in price. From what I have seen on ebay $1200 up to $2200 , The $2200 one has a make offer IIRC

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I wonder if you could adapt an E28 rear axle carrier to use E9 trailing arms. LSD's are really easy to get for that carrier.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. IIRC it is a no brainer. At least on an E12 car.I am guessing the stub axles and 1/2 shafts have to be switched as well , due to the length.But that is just plug and play. The large mounting bushings are a bitch to remove but they can be cut out with sawzall or a major strong press At the same time you might look up Garagistic. They have a service of either doing your carrier or supplying one with camber adjusters installed. Powder coating as an option. I will want $1100 for mine if it is still available. So my estimate is by the time you get done with the conversion. cost of the later diff etc you will be in it more than buying an appropriate sideloader. to be used for the one time dff install unless you plan on lunching it. Oh, and I am sure there has to be some adapting done for the main mounting point, maybe just a plate to strengthen it. Does it make sense?? Only if you need the ability to swap diffs more than one time IMHO

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you consider VSR1 to be reasonably priced?
You'll get a professionally rebuilt, stronger, and guaranteed unit in the ratio you desire.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't want aearch to have an aneurysm, but getting back to the double entendre because it is too hard to pass up (looking for LSD). I barely remember the music note sheets that were obtainable at certain Dead Head shows in Berkeley mid-80's to 90's, if you bought the full sheet you could actually play the notes. The tune I don't remember, but it didn't sound bad, especially after installing the limited slip (of memory).

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Yes. IIRC it is a no brainer. At least on an E12 car.I am guessing the stub axles and 1/2 shafts have to be switched as well , due to the length.But that is just plug and play. The large mounting bushings are a bitch to remove but they can be cut out with sawzall or a major strong press At the same time you might look up Garagistic. They have a service of either doing your carrier or supplying one with camber adjusters installed. Powder coating as an option. I will want $1100 for mine if it is still available. So my estimate is by the time you get done with the conversion. cost of the later diff etc you will be in it more than buying an appropriate sideloader. to be used for the one time dff install unless you plan on lunching it. Oh, and I am sure there has to be some adapting done for the main mounting point, maybe just a plate to strengthen it. Does it make sense?? Only if you need the ability to swap diffs more than one time IMHO

I did my rear axle in its entirety for quite a bit less than $1100, roughly 20% of that. The E12 rear suspension has the springs over the shocks,while the E9 has the springs beside the shocks, resulting in a different trailing arm configuration. It would be interesting to see if the E9 arms bolt easily to the E28 axle carrier in the proper alignment.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK IM GIVE UP
THE LSD THING WAS A WHOLE TON OF FUN AND AS FROM 1000'S OF PERSONAL EXPERENCES AND A FEW
WITH REARENDS
THERES NOTING IN THE WORLD LIKE A GREATEFUL DEAD SHOW
AS IT WAS MY BACKSTAGE LIFE FOR YEARS.