Looking for E3 lowering springs

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I go back and forth on this but I'd like to slightly lower the stance of my '76 3.0 Si. Any suggestions on what springs to use and availability? Thanks in advance

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis,

I bought e3 progressive lowering springs from B & G through Mesa Performance. I used the fronts on my coupe and would use them again on an e3 but we are keeping ours stock for now. They are only around $275 for a set too, very happy with height and feel.

Chris

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. How much do they lower the E3? Did you put them on the E3 at all? Would like to see a photo to visualize how low it would look

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis, keep in mind that BMW had a bunch of different strut housings so one man's 1.5 inches may not be anothers.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My coupe has an e12 right front strut, bracket for brake hoses is reversed, fits fine. The rears on e3 and e12 are totally different.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just looking at an old thread.

The suspension on an E3 and E12 is the same. I have sold at least 3 new sets here to E3 owners that I am personally using on my E12 based 635. No one has had any problems with them.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bert,

I agree, but e3 rears don't fit an e9 but the fronts do. Rear Bilsteins for e3 are now NLA so we had to buy e12 shocks and springs as the spring perches are different on e3 vs e12, that's all.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might remember that several years ago I had four sets of lowering springs for sale. IIRC they were B&G.and for sure for an early, 78-82 E12 platform. Several E3 owners here bought them from me and no problem using them on the E3’s

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, e3 and e12 work fine together. But the e3 had a flat rear perch, e12 has offset spring perch, Bilsteins (now in Sport only) come with both perches so it makes it easy.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
By offset do you mean a flat plate versus the “stepped” Bil plate?? I also have a set of freshly rebuilt rear Koni’s. The perch is welded to the shock body from the factory. Long story on these, but I spent some major coin having them rebuilt and then decided to go in another direction