looking for a drive shaft

bavdog

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for a used 4 speed drive shaft to modify for a 5 speed conversion on a Bavaria. Anybody got one laying around?

Thanks

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I used the driveshaft out of a 5-speed E28 535i in my 5-speed Bavaria. It fits very well and has been working fine for several years. Installing it involved making an inexpensive modification to the center bearing mount.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s cheaper to buy brand new correct length than to modify and rebuild.

search for Paul Cains referral on driveshafts.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score

paul cain said:
I want to make E9 owners aware of a fine supplier. Drive Shaft Pros. I used the one in Garden Grove Calif. but they have 6 locations in So. Cal. Yes, they will ship.
The engineer that makes the tooling for them is a BMW enthusiast and he has retooled and remanufacture all of the yokes and splines for our vintage BMW's. The below driveshaft is made from all new parts. All BMW compatible. Their price to rebuild an original is around $690 including shortening for a 5 spd. A new driveshaft is $525.00. They can make any dimensional changes you want. Super cooperative. Armando runs the front desk in Garden Grove. They know what they are doing.

bavdog

Reaction score
Awesome feedback! Thanks everyone. Sounds like new is the way to go. The reason I'm sourcing a 5 speed driveshaft is to minimize downtime while I wait for my 4 speed driveshaft to be rebuilt and modified. Of course if anybody out there has a modified driveshaft they are not using please let me know. Thanks again.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used the driveshaft out of a 5-speed E28 535i in my 5-speed Bavaria. It fits very well and has been working fine for several years. Installing it involved making an inexpensive modification to the center bearing mount.
Right?
I made a bunch of calls for this and was quoted 600-900 for a new diveshaft. I ended up picking up an e28 DS for $60