Locking gas cap

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I've got a locking gas cap for a 2002 in a box and a locking gas cap locked on a Bavaria and don't have keys for either one,are the keys for these unique to each cap or will any key for that model cap work? Also, will the Bavaria one work on a coupe?

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
IIRC the keys might be similar (and there were not that many combination cuts same) but one likely won't open another unless you just happened to have the same basic key pattern and got really lucky. I doubt if either of the caps are OEM BMW.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a BMW logo locking cap on my coupe and another on my 2002, the keys are different, the coupe cap is also much smaller and has a very small key.

tochi

Reaction score
Gas cap keys

I've got a locking gas cap for a 2002 in a box and a locking gas cap locked on a Bavaria and don't have keys for either one,are the keys for these unique to each cap or will any key for that model cap work? Also, will the Bavaria one work on a coupe?

There wasn't just one type of gas cap made for these models anymore than there was one type of steering wheel or tires for these models. The sales brochures of the day listed them as options. Because of availability and markup some of these options probably received more favorable treatment than others. I would not dare to guess how many aftermarket companies sold replacement locking caps as people were apt to lose the caps or the keys or both - as the caps "tend" to be removed at every fillup.

The Bavaria and the coupe share the same size fuel caps and should be interchangeable. At least I was able to swap mine when one was leaking. They seem to share the same size opening and fitment as many other makes of the day too.

As HB stated, the mouth of the 02 filler and corresponding cap is larger and will not fit the standard opening on an E9 or E3. I differ slightly with HB in that the cap that was original to my 72 also has an embossed logo, but the steel key is small (probably half the length of the OEM Pebra ignition key). My e9 specific caps have larger keys about 3/4 the length of the ignition key. I am sure there were several styles and sizes and probably even some aftermarket combination locks that have been forgotten by most.

My locking caps were well made but none of them are impossible to use without a key. I would expect any decent locksmith could get you keys.

hth.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Both of my keys are small, almost identical but the coupe key has HK on 1 side and C6, the 2002 has a 62. The have a different configuration however.