Little things...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the.. (the tricky description part now...) attachment band that fits inside the inside door trim chrome. In the upholstered furniture business, we call a similar animal "tack band". Its maleable, probably used to be galvanized, and every one I've seen is rusty. Including mine. The prongs that go through the vinyl skin, and then through the door card, and bend to secure said chrome piece get tired and eventually snap off during re-upholstery of door card. I'm pretty sure there was never a part number. So before I try to find or make an alternative, anyone have a source? Thanks, Dave V. in NC

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the.. (the tricky description part now...) attachment band that fits inside the inside door trim chrome. In the upholstered furniture business, we call a similar animal "tack band". Its maleable, probably used to be galvanized, and every one I've seen is rusty. Including mine. The prongs that go through the vinyl skin, and then through the door card, and bend to secure said chrome piece get tired and eventually snap off during re-upholstery of door card. I'm pretty sure there was never a part number. So before I try to find or make an alternative, anyone have a source? Thanks, Dave V. in NC

acat2002

Reaction score
As J Mackro pointed out to me, I belive what you're talking about is "pinch welt"?

U-shaped rubber channel with metal inside that take a shape and grips the seam when clamped?

If so, it is pretty widely used in the resto business. Hopefully J Mackro reads this and can chime in with where he obtained his.

acat2002

Reaction score
As J Mackro pointed out to me, I belive what you're talking about is "pinch welt"?

U-shaped rubber channel with metal inside that take a shape and grips the seam when clamped?

If so, it is pretty widely used in the resto business. Hopefully J Mackro reads this and can chime in with where he obtained his.

jmackro

Reaction score
Aynsley:

Hmm - I just pulled the name "pinch welt" out of the dark recesses of my brain - not sure that's the correct name. Doing a little web research I came up with the website for Restoration Specialties http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009 Catalog ebook/2009 Catalog ebook.pdf

These people sell all sort of interior clips, window channels, and what they call "windlace" - see page 107 of their catalog. If that's what Dave V. needs, then Restoration Specialties is one place to get it. My inclination would be to look for it at a local automotive upholstery supply place, but then I live in a major metropolitan area.

But, upon re-reading Dave V's message, I'm guessing he is looking for something that retains the chrome strips on the interior door panels. Not sure where you'd get that. Perhaps persuing the Restoration Specialties site further would produce a substitute. Dave V.: A photo of what you're looking for would go a long way toward clarifying this.

jmackro

Reaction score
Aynsley:

Hmm - I just pulled the name "pinch welt" out of the dark recesses of my brain - not sure that's the correct name. Doing a little web research I came up with the website for Restoration Specialties http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009 Catalog ebook/2009 Catalog ebook.pdf

These people sell all sort of interior clips, window channels, and what they call "windlace" - see page 107 of their catalog. If that's what Dave V. needs, then Restoration Specialties is one place to get it. My inclination would be to look for it at a local automotive upholstery supply place, but then I live in a major metropolitan area.

But, upon re-reading Dave V's message, I'm guessing he is looking for something that retains the chrome strips on the interior door panels. Not sure where you'd get that. Perhaps persuing the Restoration Specialties site further would produce a substitute. Dave V.: A photo of what you're looking for would go a long way toward clarifying this.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
little things..

Yep, Jay, your last paragraph describes the part(s). It's the attachment strip that rides in the channel (backside) of the horizontal decorative chromed strips that you see on the face of the your vinyl door interior...the smaller is about 12" long and runs into the back of the armrest, the other runs the full length of the door, just above the map pocket. What I'm looking for are the attachment strips that slide in the back of the decorative chromed strips to hold them on the door card. If anyone has ever renewed their door cards, you had to bend the tabs/fangs, back to take the vinyl (and chromed strips) off of the cards. Its a cheap nothing part, but necessary. I can email pics if someone can host/post. In the meantime, I'll check the Resto Specialties site. Thanks, guys, Dave

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
little things..

Yep, Jay, your last paragraph describes the part(s). It's the attachment strip that rides in the channel (backside) of the horizontal decorative chromed strips that you see on the face of the your vinyl door interior...the smaller is about 12" long and runs into the back of the armrest, the other runs the full length of the door, just above the map pocket. What I'm looking for are the attachment strips that slide in the back of the decorative chromed strips to hold them on the door card. If anyone has ever renewed their door cards, you had to bend the tabs/fangs, back to take the vinyl (and chromed strips) off of the cards. Its a cheap nothing part, but necessary. I can email pics if someone can host/post. In the meantime, I'll check the Resto Specialties site. Thanks, guys, Dave

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
resto specialties...

After checking out the Resto Specialties catalog, page 30 has several things similar; #'s 4103-4107 perform the same function as what I need, and could probably be made to work, if they will fit in the back channel. Have to dig a little more....Dave

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
resto specialties...

After checking out the Resto Specialties catalog, page 30 has several things similar; #'s 4103-4107 perform the same function as what I need, and could probably be made to work, if they will fit in the back channel. Have to dig a little more....Dave

Honolulu

Reaction score
ummm

I'm pretty sure I know the bit you're talking about, it has pointed ends and you fold it back much like a staple.

Heck, I'd just grab the shears and cut some from some galvanized sheet. Wear gloves! Scribe an outline first. File or lightly sandpaper cut edges.

Honolulu

Reaction score
ummm

I'm pretty sure I know the bit you're talking about, it has pointed ends and you fold it back much like a staple.

Heck, I'd just grab the shears and cut some from some galvanized sheet. Wear gloves! Scribe an outline first. File or lightly sandpaper cut edges.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
grab the shears..

That's the part H'lulu. Your method is Plan B. I was hoping for a cheap, brainless, throw $15 at it Plan A....Haven't heard much from you lately, hope all is well.. Dave V. in NC

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
grab the shears..

That's the part H'lulu. Your method is Plan B. I was hoping for a cheap, brainless, throw $15 at it Plan A....Haven't heard much from you lately, hope all is well.. Dave V. in NC