Lilli Up For Sale 3 Months later

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some of you know the saga of Lilli, my pristine 1976 2002 BMW. Sold this past Aug on BaT for $34,500. Happy buyer, wife loved it, drives around the lake on summer evenings. He seemed to be a collector of sorts. Perhaps getting into early BMWs. Not!

Lilli reappeared on BaT today, three months after delivery. Traded for MB Station Wagon. Right, an exceptional 2002, my word and the word of many others, for a Wagon. A common, easy to score, white bread Wagon.

You can see the new, day old auction on BaT - type in bmw 2002

It is a No Reserve auction so should be interesting to watch considering the August selling price and the even softer, winter market.

I wonder if the second high bidder from the August auction knows?

Steve

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@otter74 my dad taught me to drive on a '54 Mercury, 4 on the column, real wood sided wagon. He moved on to a '59 Ford Country Squire with metal wood(oxymoron) which I sneaked out to local drag strips on Sunday mornings. Until I dropped an Olds V8 into a '40 Ford and discovered real power and speed. You may see the W123 Wagon as pretty sweet. I soured on them decades ago. Just my taste.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
A true AMG w123 wagon is into the 2-400,000 dollar range. I think the wagon we are talking about is one that came through the recent Pebble Beach auctions. That sold price reflects it's unverified history. Still, a super, super car and I can't fault that trade.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, there are people that, unless on Ritalin, will switch cars will-nilli (in this case willi-Lilli).
Others like me run cars into the ground before selling them.
Both extremes are ridiculous and worth making fun of :).

As a market signal for Lilli it is a negative, and she will probably sell for less, just based on the short tenure.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is a No Reserve auction so should be interesting to watch considering the August selling price and the even softer, winter market.
If the price stays low enough you could always buy it back. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, if only it had power steering i never, ever would have sold. But our 72 Agave Bavaria courtesy of Steve Petersen's mom is a sweet ride.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vehicle prices always are lower (in my opinion) before Christmas.
I just bought this
Left side.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I look to buy a used car, I have a handful of things that will cause me to instantly walk away from a deal. By way of example, if the seller's story about the car doesn't hang together, I'm gone.

Another of my "no deal" things is very short term ownership. Even if the car looks great, I know that if the seller discovered major problems, his best course of action would be to come up with some reason why he reluctantly had to part with the car even though it was great. This likely played into the selling price here.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ohmess, when I sold Lilli three and a half months ago there were no major problems to discover. None!! She sold for $34,500 because she was original, low miles(approx 87,000} and had been pampered all her life. I believe the story about seeing the AMG and deciding he wanted it. But Lilli's current selling price, $27,002 would probably pay the sales tax on the AMG.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was the transient Lilli owner a previous 2002 owner?
I found that when nostalgia drives the lust for a previous car, or old fixation with a car, the real thing can disappoint.

I owned a 1976 BMW 1502 and thought a 2002 in California would be great, I test drove it and passed.
My mother drove a Renault 4L and I used it for a few months. I found an identical one in California, test drove it and passed.
I test drove a perfect Alfa step nose and passed.

It is hard to move backwards in time.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was the transient Lilli owner a previous 2002 owner?
I found that when nostalgia drives the lust for a previous car, or old fixation with a car, the real thing can disappoint.

I owned a 1976 BMW 1502 and thought a 2002 in California would be great, I test drove it and passed.
My mother drove a Renault 4L and I used it for a few months. I found an identical one in California, test drove it and passed.
I test drove a perfect Alfa step nose and passed.

It is hard to move backwards in time.
Timely:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting read for sure. curious observations that in some cases i wouldn't have expected (in some cases). totally agree with the Riviera. the MGC was a surprise read - i owned a MGB GT in college - by contrast underpowered and not the greatest handler. yes, the 2002 is underpowered also ... but a very good handler that can be greatly improved. no doubt that the plastic on the 240z was crappy - but i found significant issues with the IRS design ... it was horrible in a slalom. always loved the e-type jag - in every way