Light in the HAZARD warning light contact

pmansson

Reaction score
I did the last hour of my 750 miles to Germany and back today, in the dark. I have removed the silly ignitionkey lamp on all my cars, as the light hits the passenger door with its chrome, glass and door panes which is irritating when driving in the dark at night.

On this particular car, the hazard warning light switch, on the facia above the right knee, has a lamp which goes on with the instrument lighting. I like to have the instrument lights on half power, but am disturbed by the red light refecting on the windshield, at just about eye level as I drive.

What is the easy way to solve this?
Turn the switch anti clockwise and take it off to gain access to the little lamp, and remove it, or try to disconnect the correct flat contact pin on the rear. There are about 5-6 contact pins on the rear if i remember right.

pmansson

Reaction score
I did the last hour of my 750 miles to Germany and back today, in the dark. I have removed the silly ignitionkey lamp on all my cars, as the light hits the passenger door with its chrome, glass and door panes which is irritating when driving in the dark at night.

On this particular car, the hazard warning light switch, on the facia above the right knee, has a lamp which goes on with the instrument lighting. I like to have the instrument lights on half power, but am disturbed by the red light refecting on the windshield, at just about eye level as I drive.

What is the easy way to solve this?
Turn the switch anti clockwise and take it off to gain access to the little lamp, and remove it, or try to disconnect the correct flat contact pin on the rear. There are about 5-6 contact pins on the rear if i remember right.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Pop the bulb out. You'll probably need some tweezers to do it after unscrewing the red lens. Removing the wire would be a minor hassle since it is embedded in the circular connector and you would need to pull the knee panel out to get to it.

I just rebuilt my hazard switch. It had become old and incontinent and it would turn on randomly. Using some persuasion with a small screw driver, some wrist pressure and a few choice words appropriate for an old German car got it apart. It turns out the there is a little pin on a shaft which engages int he push on/push off mechanism which became a bit deformed over time. I bent the shaft inward a bit and now it works perfectly again - we're good for another 38 years!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Pop the bulb out. You'll probably need some tweezers to do it after unscrewing the red lens. Removing the wire would be a minor hassle since it is embedded in the circular connector and you would need to pull the knee panel out to get to it.

I just rebuilt my hazard switch. It had become old and incontinent and it would turn on randomly. Using some persuasion with a small screw driver, some wrist pressure and a few choice words appropriate for an old German car got it apart. It turns out the there is a little pin on a shaft which engages int he push on/push off mechanism which became a bit deformed over time. I bent the shaft inward a bit and now it works perfectly again - we're good for another 38 years!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Definitely hazardous..

John, I assume that you meant "It" had become..Not "I" had become....Hehehe..Look forward to seeing you next weekend, and thanks for the diagram. Dave V. in NC

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Definitely hazardous..

John, I assume that you meant "It" had become..Not "I" had become....Hehehe..Look forward to seeing you next weekend, and thanks for the diagram. Dave V. in NC