LHD vs RHD timber dash

matthewh

Reaction score
I have a polaris csi RHD ( australia). The dash has a timber component to the front of the dash / tray ( strip across the front). I have noticed this is not on LHD cars. I though it may have been a spin of from a 2000cs or 2800 csi and My dash is incorrect but it seems most RHD cars have the extra timber component?.

Is this correct?

( the pictures shown are from other cars)

Attachments

• 22_Pic.jpg
    22_Pic.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1122943.jpg
    1122943.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 154
  • ck-e9-cs-68.jpg
    ck-e9-cs-68.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 160

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your observation is very correct. Frankly, I wish the left hand drive cars have this extra timber dash piece as well.

OZCSi

Reaction score
Mine is a RHD and def has the wood across the wheel areas as per pics.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I have noticed this also.
I also wished that my lhd dash had the wood strip.
Strange that such a large change would happen to such a few cars.

When I re finished my dash I briefly considered making such a piece. Too much work for me!
steve

jmackro

Reaction score
Bert35csi said:
I wish the left hand drive cars have this extra timber dash piece as well.

I also like the look of the natural wood "bullnose"; however I am guessing that it is very susceptible to damage, since it is quite exposed. I'll bet BMW switched over to covering this piece with vinyl to make it more durable. Of course, vinyl-covered metal would also have been cheaper to manufacture than veneered wood.

Last edited:

MMercury

Reaction score
I have a polaris csi RHD ( australia). The dash has a timber component to the front of the dash / tray ( strip across the front). I have noticed this is not on LHD cars. I though it may have been a spin of from a 2000cs or 2800 csi and My dash is incorrect but it seems most RHD cars have the extra timber component?.

Is this correct?

Judging from the diagrams, it would appear that the RHD dash has slightly fewer components than its LHD cousin.

Unclear about any distinction between parts marked 4 and 5 in the lower LHD dash. (Part 4 does not have a part number listed.)

25.png

24.png

New Klasse:

22.png

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too bad BMW didn't just continue the 2000CS interior in our cars. I have seriously considered buying a 2000CS(in my wet dream$) just for the interior. and the nose is growing on me. No pun intended, but I do have a rather large one.

Steve

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
dash woody...

I just always assumed that the LHD cars got the "padded" dash (as it was called on early detroit iron), for USDOT regs....The RHD is really pretty.