Leave Block Blue?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Started cleaning off my Block and getting it ready to repaint. I will probably use a Brush to do it. Tried cleaning the old paint off with a needle scaler (Suggested for my floor undercoat BY SF Don ...Thanks). It works basically instantly on a cast iron block to get it to bare rusty metal.

I am unsure if I want to go with the Blue or make it Black. Whoever built the engine originally did a very nice job finishing the timing chain cover in Black (Was this ever original on an M30?). Maybe leave it Blue if the engine might be a Korman or some other builder? I still don't know who put this engine together or what is inside.

Anyone have a brand of paint they like? Eastwoods has an engine paint I am considering, but they only have Black in Glossy.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-engine-paint-qt-universal-gloss-blac.html

Were the engines Satin originally?

P1080237_zpsac4f54cc.jpg

DSC_5700_zps1166ff48.jpg

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i painted mine in RUST-OLEUM black 750ºC resistant temperature paint, satin finish, wonderful
i used the same paint on the exhaust manifolds, and the result is still great

200420072748_zpsc71a4ac3.jpg

as far as i can tell, the block was originally black, see pic:

100320072670_zps9e87fd47.jpg

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
deQ
I another great slide show! I like the Black but not on the timing cover Nicad. Bead blast all the aluminum and clear coat or something like that.(powder coat?)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe worth a call to Korman to see if they have a record of doing you engine? Then if not I'd bead blast the aluminum (I coated with Shark Hide and has held up) and paint the block back to factory black. IMHO

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
i painted mine in RUST-OLEUM black 750ºC resistant temperature paint, satin finish, wonderful
i used the same paint on the exhaust manifolds, and the result is still great

as far as i can tell, the block was originally black, see pic:

100320072670_zps9e87fd47.jpg

That looks very good DQ. Was it a brush on paint?

rodspock

Reaction score
Bob,

Something looks odd with your carburettor manifolds - have you got the the front manifold on the rear and the rear manifold on the front of the head?

The carburettors do not look like they will sit on the same plane. If this is the case you will have trouble getting the air cleaner fitted and, potentially, bonnet closed.

On my RHD CS I seem to remember that the brake booster came from the rear carb manifold.

Cheers,

Rod
(Australia)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

Something looks odd with your carburettor manifolds - have you got the the front manifold on the rear and the rear manifold on the front of the head?

The carburettors do not look like they will sit on the same plane. If this is the case you will have trouble getting the air cleaner fitted and, potentially, bonnet closed.

On my RHD CS I seem to remember that the brake booster came from the rear carb manifold.

Cheers,

Rod
(Australia)

hi Rod, considering that you are referring to my engine, this one is deQ' s:

i am going to answer you:

1 - the manifolds are in the right position, the vacuum port comes from the front manifold, the only odd thing of my setup (being an euro spec car), is that these manifolds are the USA version because you can see the caped ports for the ECU system, incidentally i used these ports to interconnect the intake and thus to balance it, a great idea that our prosche61 friend (aka Jerry), told us some time ago

(BTW, ....on an RHD car everything CAN happen....:p ...don't put the blame on Fritz...)

2 - the carburetors sit in the same plane, and the manifolds are correctly mounted, your mistake is that you are not seing the engine in its position, when the engine sits on its plates, it is tilted a certain angle, that is the reason why to get an horizontal plane for the carburetors, the manifolds need to be seated slightly angled too

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't argue with the results Luis. Looks as nice as I have seen. I do not want to use a spray paint if possible, as I do not want to get into engine removal. The level of detail you have achieved is what I hope to parody.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the blue...I think I recognize the color. Unless there is a color shift in the photo it looks identical to Ford Blue. This is the color painted on 60s English Ford K blocks which are in the Cortinas as well as Ford's domestic engines I believe.

So...if blue is where you want to go might look at Ford's color code.

aguirola

Reaction score
My car came with a Korman blue engine, called them, and they were very helpful with information on the technical aspects.
When it comes out for some engine bay refinishing issues, back to black!
Just a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

Regards, Alberto

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I called them too, but they said they didn't have any engine building records kept by serial number. Was your front cover Black by any chance?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

Cheers,

Rod
(Australia)

Rod, I have Triple Weber 45's with an Alpina air intake on the car. It all seems to fit quite well . Hopefully one day it runs well too.

rodspock

Reaction score
It should run quite well.

Here is mine. It is running 10.5:1 pistons 91.5mm diameter on a 3.3 crank (3.4 litres all up), balanced and a bit of a cam. I have port matched all of the inlets, custom extractors and running 40mm Webers. All through a five speed and LSD.

Power and torque is impressive (I think it is faster than my M6). I does need to be held at slightly higher revs to extract it - but it comes with an induction noise it is sensational.

Enjoy yours,

Rod
(Australia)

Attachments

• DSC_8979.jpg
    DSC_8979.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 124