Kidney Grille Revolution!

m73

Reaction score
The early BMW grilles always reminded me of looking up at a persons 'Nostrils.'

So to me they were affectionately called 'Nostrils' because the car also needed to breathe and they were right down the center of the front-end. That would also mean the headlights should be the eyes and it would all make sense.

So why are they called kidney grilles? I could see the argument for newer BMW's, but not the early types. I guess I am dreaming when I think owners of classic BMW's will revolt and start calling the kidney grille 'nostrils.'

Sure kidney sounds a whole lot better than nostril, but the prior is just a bit too yuppie for me. Anyone want to add their thoughts?

MF

Attachments

• nostril02.jpg
    nostril02.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 546

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The antropomorphic answers to that question, assuming the front of the car is a face, are either nostrils or a moustache.

Neither one is brand friendly, nostril openings generally point down and should not be visible squarely from the front or we start to resemble pigs. And a narrow moustache that is taller than wider as the brand associated with a Bavarian company emerging in the mid 1930's can mostly be associated with Hitler. So kidney is a way out of that conundrum.

Kidneys are attributed to designer Peter Shimanowski for model 303 in 1933.

The lack of grills is a nice design detail in electric cars that allows them to have a clean shaven front. BMW's electric car faced a choice of keeping the kidneys even though they are no longer functionally required, or shave the front. The i3 kept the kidneys...

But the most puzzling part about modern European cars is why they went to non-round headlights. Being the eyes the round shape looks so perfect throughout early BMW and Porsches that I just do not get why they come up with one-off incredibly expensive assemblies for modern headlights. They make the car look like a Hong Kong taxi.

Dave L

Reaction score
Kidney grilles

it's a name based on shape and size.
Huh.....I never thought they looked like nostrils.
It's become too iconic, I doubt you would ever get that thinking changed. It's one of the few identifying marks left on modern BMW's.

Dave L

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
enfrente

As a kid, I always thought of that part, even on my first car, a 69 2002, as the snout...
but always called them kidneys...My big question, was that this was a premium quality GERMAN car, and the grilles were made of the cheesiest beer can material...get a ding from a large horsefly...Sorry, I got off the subject.

m73

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the interesting responses, turns out I am not the only one thinking about this....

It would be cool if journalists started using another term other than 'kidney' but maybe BMW NA would like to hold on to their brand recognition.

MF

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the interesting responses, turns out I am not the only one thinking about this....

It would be cool if journalists started using another term other than 'kidney' but maybe BMW NA would like to hold on to their brand recognition.

MF

If a 19 year old kid at a swap can say "I need a kidney grill for my E30" I doubt we'll get any action on the general populace calling them anything other than kidney grills.

That reminds me. Mine has a few dents. Short of dialysis, where does one go for unmolested, perfect kidneys?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
So why are they called kidney grilles? I could see the argument for newer BMW's, but not the early types....

MF

Actually, I would say the opposite. The early grilles are in an "upright" position and human kidneys are usually referenced in an upright position instead of sideways. But, its not until the big rock hits the side of the grille that the kidney really takes shape. ;-)