Kidney grill question

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It has always been my assumption that there were two types of kidney grills for the coupe. The original early all anodized aluminum unit with 10 vertical slats and the later clunkier anodized aluminum version with 8 vertical blacks slats which was mounted inside the grill frame as a single plastic unit.

Was there a 3rd type? Lately, I've noticed quite a few early factory and press photos of the CSL's that indicates to me that these cars came with the 10 black slated grills. Pretty sure that these grills were factory original. So, the question is, were they painted or were they black anodized? Leaning toward the latter as I've seen the black slated grills of the 2002 and none of them shows signs of chipping paint.

BMWGRILLPICS011.jpg

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It has always been my assumption that there were two types of kidney grills for the coupe. The original early all anodized aluminum unit with 10 vertical slats and the later clunkier anodized aluminum version with 8 vertical blacks slats which was mounted inside the grill frame as a single plastic unit.

Was there a 3rd type? Lately, I've noticed quite a few early factory and press photos of the CSL's that indicates to me that these cars came with the 10 black slated grills. Pretty sure that these grills were factory original. So, the question is, were they painted or were they black anodized? Leaning toward the latter as I've seen the black slated grills of the 2002 and none of them shows signs of chipping paint.

BMWGRILLPICS011.jpg

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6