Keeping Numbers matching engine after swap?

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone think its necessary? Mine is a 1970 2.8 that ran great before pulling, but my car is so modified that keeping the engine for someone that wants original doesn't seem logical.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it will matter someday, but not sure how much.

I was looking for factory cars on BaT and they are few and far between. I know it’s for a reason, but they are almost all have a five speed and probably half have a 3.5.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just went through this with my E3. You'd think it would be easier to decide for a sedan but it's not. I have the space and the short block is in good shape so I put it aside for now.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been hanging on to my original 4 speed and carb set up/air cleaner since switching to a 5 speed and fuel injection years ago. Not sure why, maybe my old muscle cars days where that all seemed to matter more. These upgrades just make our cars more reliable and better to drive. I can't image someone wanting to go backwards but maybe.

jmackro

Reaction score
I think it will matter someday, but not sure how much.

Yea, that was my feeling. To know the answer, you would have to be able to predict the future. Will there even still be collector car enthusiasts in the next 10 or 20 years? And if there are enthusiasts, will they value originality? Or will the government mandate all vehicles operated on public roads be electric and self-driving?

I understand Gary's logic that my car is so modified that keeping the engine for someone that wants original doesn't seem logical. But then too, people were putting small block Chevy's in racing Ferraris back in the late 1950's - who wants a low HP, hard to maintain, Eye-talian engine? - yet today enthusiasts pay astronomical amounts to locate period correct engines and restore these cars to their original state. But will the past repeat itself? Who knows!

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It certainly depends on the car of course. One may drop an S38 in a CSL, and that's a damn fun car to drive - but having the original engine for that car would make a big difference. I have the original engine for my CSi, which was rebuilt (so I've been told - compression tests to come) but a B35 may go into it instead. But I will keep the original engine with the car as it will stay pretty stock other than the engine and 5-speed - just in case the winds shift and having the original engine with your e9 becomes the desire de jour......

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, that was my feeling. To know the answer, you would have to be able to predict the future. Wil there even still be collector car enthusiasts in the next 10 or 20 years?

@Gary Waggoner has his question answered and he took action. No value will be added to his car by keeping the motor. The discussion is fascinating though.

10 years, likely not that much different. 20 years, gasoline cars are grandfathered but all cars are electric. 30 years, gasoline cars are banned. At some point gasoline cars become trinkets and museum pieces - absolute originality matters!

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
With my 72 csi I chose to retain it and the transmission when I swapped our the numbers matching engine. That was 8 or so years ago. I’m happy I did. What’s the downside? Space is the only thing I can think of. I say retain it. You can always change your mind, but finding it in the future is unlikely.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With my 72 csi I chose to retain it and the transmission when I swapped our the numbers matching engine. That was 8 or so years ago. I’m happy I did. What’s the downside? Space is the only thing I can think of. I say retain it. You can always change your mind, but finding it in the future is unlikely.
It's more important to retain a CSi motor in my opinion, a carb one not so much. How many still have an original date stamped head? Very few in the US.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have the space keep it as I have kept all the original items for my car, including the date stamped head. My guess is that if sold individually parts may fetch a certain price but when included in the sale of a car, the car with the inclusion of original parts will sell for a premium over the individual items.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd keep it otherwise you are robbing a future owner of the same opportunities you had.
I agree! No body knows what the future holds an things do change. The reality is the 2.8 isn't going to be worth the trouble of selling it. In 10 yrs it could be a bonus when sold with the car..
Gary

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree! No body knows what the future holds an things do change. The reality is the 2.8 isn't going to be worth the trouble of selling it. In 10 yrs it could be a bonus when sold with the car..
Gary

Strange catch 22. Nobody is going to pull their 3.5 to reinstall a 2.8 unless it is the very last detail to get the car back to factory. :D

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s about the intrinsic value of having the original engine and all the more so if it’s in good order. As a buyer I’d find it very impressive as it would authenticate the history of a good car to begin with and credit to the seller for keeping all the matching# parts and making the desirable upgrades. There is only one original engine to each car, most crave for theirs......

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THE REASON ITS IMPORTANT IS AS TIME GOES ON THEY UNITS MY BECOME MORE DESIRABLE
AND HAVEING AND ORIGINAL MOTOR (MATCHING NUMBERS)
IS CRITICAL IN RESALE - IT WOULD BE LIKE PUTTING A V8 CHEVY ENGINE IN A JAGUAR XJS.
WHOOPS..

ONE THING THATS A;WAYS GOING TO BE "OFF" IS THE HEAD AS THE ORIGINALS
ARE A PIECE OF SCRAP METAL -IF THAT - THEY ALL NEED TO BE THROWN AWAY.