Just Dashes

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
While looking via internet search for the panel under the dash, I found this image posted on Just Dashes site, which I had not seen before. I priced restoration from the company at over $2000.00 and a whopping six months to do the work.

Anyone recognise this dash?

Attachments

• 1972 BMW 3.0 CS Dash Pad Restoration | Just Dashes.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

tdgray

Reaction score
I've never found Just Dashes to be "that" expensive and anyway you have to send your dash to them for them to give you an estimate of the cost. Too many variables in the process.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe Paul Cain has used them in the past, and found that the recovered dash was difficult to install because the recovered dashes are thicker than stock. You may want to get in touch with Paul for details (and in case my memory is faulty).

tdgray

Reaction score
You are correct Chris. It’s because they don’t fully take them apart. They repair cracks and then put a thin shell of material over the whole thing. But it’s always going to be thicker than stock. I had one done by them and while space was not an issue in my case it can be.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just contacted Just Dashes about recovering some 12"X18" speaker pods for my 6 They wanted a $1000 which is insanity. I have been searching the net looking for someone else to do them, but they may be the only game in town. There was a guy in WA State who did dash boards but I can't find him. He did beautiful work and was a fraction of Dashes

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sent my dash pieces to Just Dashes close to 20 years ago, they came back looking new and they still look exactly the same -new. The dimensions seemed the same but I never measured before and after. I did the removal and reinstall myself and had no issues but my windshield was out for both. I think I paid $1100 dollars back then which seemed like everything at the time but so worth it to have a perfect dash to look at for 19 years. At the same time I sent all my wood to Madera Concepts, I think it was $1400 for all pieces. It still looks perfect too. A total of $2500 for both the wood and dash, can't image what it all would cost now.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sent my 1973 2002Tii original 2 piece to Just Dashes & opted for correct re-stenciling, well worth the time & money spent.

IMG_0757.jpeg
IMG_0758.jpeg
IMG_0759.jpeg

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the one done in my 6 about 10 years ago by Dashboards USA in WA state for $650 it was, is, as nice as original. Unfortunately I can't find him anymore

tdgray

Reaction score
that looks really great Andrew.

it just depends on what you want. Like stated above…how long are you going to have the car… look at it and drive it and enjoy it.

personally… I don’t ride on the outside of the car ;) I will spend a good buck to make the inside look as good as the outside.

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just dashes did mine in our
IMG_7931.jpeg
coupe, they did a great job at a fair price and they delivered it on time…

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would try to find used, non-cracked/dented originals.

I recall seeing a grab rail where the definition around the button(s) is too smooth/rounded.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would try to find used, non-cracked/dented originals.

I recall seeing a grab rail where the definition around the button(s) is too smooth/rounded.
Easier said than done.

I thought about assembling a full set of used poor condition units and having them done by JD, to mitigate the lead time. Even ratty dash parts are not cheap.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my 1972 Bavaria dash pad done by Just Dashes, The box it came back in was of spectacular construction. Once I removed it from the box, I let it sit on top of the box for about a week just admiring it. During the six months I waited, I drove the car plenty without a dash or instrument pack, used a 12 volt bulb for the generator lite as my only instrument. I had plenty to do while it was gone.

Thank you.
Larry Louton

tdgray

Reaction score
Like many things.. you just have to plan in your restoration… I mean how long is a motor rebuild. A lot of guys around here are quoting a year. I am planning to call korman… I fully expect an unbelievable lead time.

All part of the process.

Also, I tend to pay higher prices to the vendors that support our cars well. Those that put the effort in and have the things that others don’t. With my MG’s it used to be Moss Motors. They were the king and we paid them handsomely for their continued support of the brand. When you don’t… well they drop out of the space.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Easier said than done.

I thought about assembling a full set of used poor condition units and having them done by JD, to mitigate the lead time. Even ratty dash parts are not cheap.
Yes, but you should get more than what you paid for the ratty parts when you sell your not so ratty parts. And since prices are going up all the time, you likely will be able to get more for them after your repaired dash returns than you can get today.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Critical to use German style vinyl. US vinyl is padded and you end up with 2 problems- dash looks like it’s wearing a sweater and the dash gets bigger and hard to install.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Critical to use German style vinyl. US vinyl is padded and you end up with 2 problems- dash looks like it’s wearing a sweater and the dash gets bigger and hard to install.

I recently saw one of the JD restorations and it had a hard shell like finish, very similar to the factory units.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Like many things.. you just have to plan in your restoration… I mean how long is a motor rebuild. A lot of guys around here are quoting a year. I am planning to call korman… I fully expect an unbelievable lead time.

All part of the process.

Also, I tend to pay higher prices to the vendors that support our cars well. Those that put the effort in and have the things that others don’t. With my MG’s it used to be Moss Motors. They were the king and we paid them handsomely for their continued support of the brand. When you don’t… well they drop out of the space.

That is a good ethos to have!

Propellerhead_tom

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
JD does a nice job of replicating the OEM look, but the dash top is a bit thicker and a different texture and sheen than OEM. It is next to impossible to remove a perfect dash from a 50 year old e9 without breaking the super brittle and thin left and right corners. I have restored 5 e9s and Installing an original back into a restored car is even more difficult to do without breaking or denting the OEM dash. Very few e9s are 95+ point concourse restorations or untouched originals, so I don't know if you could really put a value on a perfect used OEM dash and JDs prices are surely cheaper. Doing the work JD does in CA is next to impossible from a labor and toxic materials standpoint, I am surprised they have even stayed in business here for as long as they have. It is no wonder why the costs have skyrocketed.
I am attempting the very difficult job of removing the uncracked dash from my CSL and reinstalling it after the paintwork has been completed.
Wish me luck!