Jeremy Clarkson - BMW 3.0 CSL

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An Article from the Sunday Times today (09 August 2020) in which Jeremy Clarkson mentions several notable classic cars including the BMW 3.0 CSL.

Jeremy Clarkson - CSL.JPG

I should add that he owned a CSL at one time.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope my finished CSL handles better than a ride on mower :(
Doesn't sound like he rates the DB5 pretty poorly as well. Looked at one of these in a shed here years ago but couldn't close the deal.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think he is just being controversial - standard fare for many entertainment writers. What he says is obvious, modern car’s drive better, more comfortably and safer than old cars. And for this he is a famous motoring writer?

Objectively, our daily transports will drive circles around any of our classic cars on public roads (well, I don’t own a Miura ). Duh.

Furthermore, I dare say I would not enjoy being a passenger in one of my old cars on an event/drive of any significant length (eg greater than 1 hour) unless it were Redman, Michele Mouton, or Hans Stuck at the wheel. That’s why I leave my spouse at home, on classic car tours that don’t have luxurious destination events.

For me, old car’s are a selfish, self-centered pursuit of the pleasure is in driving a slow car fast ... cars that rely almost entirely on the driver to adapt to and make up for the car’s inadequacies. I like cars that make me a better driver, not the other way around.

Well, there is also the emotional aspects of esthetics & history.

So, sign me up to drive that mower

gazzol

Reaction score
For me, old car’s are a selfish, self-centered pursuit of the pleasure is in driving a slow car fast ... cars that rely almost entirely on the driver to adapt to and make up for the car’s inadequacies. I like cars that make me a better driver, not the other way around.
I totally agree ;-)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
it's the charm of driving a "oldtimer" , for me the more in historic rallies with some "competition" . It has indeed nothing to do with judging them only on how fast they are compared to modern cars , just to contempory cars. More , with a oem CS you almost must go in "race" modus to keep up with modern daily grocery getters.....even diesels. My "rally" is more alive due low gearing ( dogleg and diff) but no more to be used on highways , as 120 km/h is already a screaming 4000 rpm.
Handling can be better with suspension upgrades , as with brakes , but we still have no rack&pinion steering .... biggest disadvantage of our CS.....