Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 vs BMW Bavaria

ADDvanced

Reaction score
I picked up a 72 BMW Bavaria the other day and parked it right next to my 73 XJ6; thought this was interesting so I made a video on it. These were direct competitors, shared so many aspects, yet are so completely different. Thoughts? Cheers

PSA: If you've seen any of my other videos, this is a BRAND NEW CHANNEL which will be focused on automotive content; my old channel will become focused on marine content. Subscribe if you don't want to miss future installments, updates very soon!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Soon he will discover that Max was responsible for the stripped down, entry level, bring it in under $5,000. sticker price. Hence, the absence of the Jag luxury features.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
But first there was this...

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 77

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Right? Just need the benz to complete the collection. Honestly the lack of luxury features isn't the big surprise, the crazy thing to me is the overall thinking behind the Bav is well into the 80s/90s in terms of construction/chassis architecture/touch points. It doesn't feel like it came out the same year as the XJ6 at all, it seems waaaaay newer. And according to that R&T article, the jag handles better than the BMW?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...I think their comment was that it was "equal to" the bmw, but less body roll because it's a "three or four" inches lower that the others... Brakes and steering are less crisp, and the jag's 5-600 lbs heavier...
I think the road-test guys liked the smell of the english leather the best...

CSBM5

Reaction score
From the perspective of a new buyer of a 1972 Bavaria, I can relate that my father had zero interest in the Jaguar. His background was mechanical engineering, so he was very impressed with BMWs and loved the way they felt to drive. Plus having a manual transmission was mandatory. My dad ended up buying two German cars in 1972, in April the Bavaria and then in November a 1973 914 2.0. After having two C2 Corvettes and then a '68 Firebird 350HO in the 1960s, he was ready for a performance sedan, and wow did the Bavaria fit that roll perfectly like no other car on the market. My arguments for buying a new Firebird Formula HO 455 or a Cuda hemi or 440/6pack all failed.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I had to guess, posting this question on a BMW enthusiast forum is likely going to result in more in favor of the Bav than the Jag. That said, I feel that your comments on the video seemed to favor the Jaguar for more than a few reasons. With that in mind, and considering it appears we're in the same city/region, I'd suggest you keep the Jaguar and I'll get that Bavaria out of your way. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Autokunst, you are partway to a glass-out paint job while it is on the rotesserie. Go for it.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here you go...

That looks like my brother's Jaguar. Or more accurately, my niece's as she inherited it after he passed. He pretty much stopped driving it when he had to commute a fair distance and racked up 150K on a little Honda CRX instead. I wanted to use it for my wedding so I replaced the two fuel pumps that were gummed up from sitting. That was 30 years ago and it's been garaged the whole time since. I'm sure the new fuel pumps I put in are now gummed up as well. It's unlikely she'll ever get it back on the road but she can't part with anything that was his.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, this topic is very interesting to many of us who have owned a Jag, or have driven a Jag, or just plain felt it would be a great idea to own one. I recall attending an auto show back in the early '70s. Became enamoured with the XJ6. Suggested to my Father that this should be his next car. He looked at me as if I was for Mars. He was on the Chevy Biscayne/Belair/Impala/Caprice/BuickSkylark continuum and there was nothing I could do about that. Fast forward decades, and I SO wanted an XJ8. The ones I could find had SO many miles, or were "salvage" or "Rebuilt" or whatever. So I went for a BMW 528iTouring. Very happy with that choice. In my opinion, owners must have a FULL warranty to manage a used Jag. Or many contacts/friends/great deal of luck, to go very far in a used Jaguar. Just my opinion, but they are still, always, worth a look!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are six, repeat six actual, functioning, gauges on the dash cluster of the Jag. They provide hard information to the driver. And they are beautiful. Not an idiot light in sight. I have owned multiple Coupes, Bavarias and 2002s during my long love affair with classic BMWs. And from day one, that would be April 1, 1971, I have hated the cheap idiots who eliminated the real deal. And gave me bulbs in their place.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW corporate culture of the late 60's and 70's had to be heavily influenced by the lean times of the '46' through the mid 60's. Thus the idiot lights and other cost savings.

Last edited: