is the grille hood black or chrome if the color of the car

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Grilles

The top and side grilles should be the same color. I thought that by 1974 they were always black which is consistent with the kidney grille.

Honolulu

Reaction score
depends on the body color, IIRC

I thought the light colored cars got black plastic grilles, and the dark colored cars got the chromed plastic grilles. Could be wrong though.

Percy

Reaction score
new life to an old thread?

There is a contemporaneous thread involving the color Turkis. http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

There are three examples of the Turkis color with black fender and hood / bonnet grilles, including an example displayed by the factory. I am not so sure these examples are definitive of any rule or reason as I am personally aware of a Turkis model (csi) that was delivered new from the factory - with chromed grilles, like this one:
BMW-30-CS-seite.jpg

Percy

Reaction score
new life to an old thread?

There is a contemporaneous thread involving the color Turkis. http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

There are three examples of the Turkis color with black fender and hood / bonnet grilles, including an example displayed by the factory. I am not so sure these examples are definitive of any rule or reason as I am personally aware of a Turkis model (csi) that was delivered new from the factory - with chromed grilles, like this one:
BMW-30-CS-seite.jpg

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi !!
The old debate concerning color of grilles !!!
Normally, 1st series till 10/73 had chromed hood+fender grilles + front alu grilles and then 2nd series from 10/73 black grilles all around .
But as modifications between the 2 series came progressively, there has been mixes . I mean 1st series with black grilles and front black grilles. It is something you can find out with part catalogues.
Then, beginning of 1974, all black grilles were installed.
It may not be obvious, because the room of the museum was dark, but the grilles are chromed.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi !!
The old debate concerning color of grilles !!!
Normally, 1st series till 10/73 had chromed hood+fender grilles + front alu grilles and then 2nd series from 10/73 black grilles all around .
But as modifications between the 2 series came progressively, there has been mixes . I mean 1st series with black grilles and front black grilles. It is something you can find out with part catalogues.
It may not be obvious, because the room of the museum was dark, but the grilles are chromed.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
To be more precise :

Here is a list of chassis numbers according to type :
The 8 upper references concern chromed fender an hood.
The 4 lower references concern black fender and hood.
You can see that from the same chassis number you had chromed or black grilles according to the color of the car.
According to this part catalogue (10/75), there should have been 2nd series with chromed grilles if the color of the car was dark.
But I never saw one .
Some one may help?

D-jetronic

Reaction score
To be more precise :

Here is a list of chassis numbers according to type :
The 8 upper references concern chromed fender an hood.
The 4 lower references concern black fender and hood.
You can see that from the same chassis number you had chromed or black grilles according to the color of the car.
According to this part catalogue (10/75), there should have been 2nd series with chromed grilles if the color of the car was dark.
But I never saw one .
Some one may help?

Percy

Reaction score
D-jetronic said:

Sehr gut! or is it Très bon?

Thanks for the clarification! The pictures are deceptive. I thought the grilles of the car you posted were black and that was the reason for the other posted pictures. :wink:

Percy

Reaction score
D-jetronic said:

Sehr gut! or is it Très bon?

Thanks for the clarification! The pictures are deceptive. I thought the grilles of the car you posted were black and that was the reason for the other posted pictures. :wink:

D-jetronic

Reaction score
trés bien !!!! :roll:

Finally I think black grilles on 2nd series were installed all around for "simplifikazion " !!!
Auf wieder sehen !!!!

D-jetronic

Reaction score
trés bien !!!! :roll:

Finally I think black grilles on 2nd series were installed all around for "simplifikazion " !!!
Auf wieder sehen !!!!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Grills--Chromed or Black

As with several other cost saving steps taken to minimize cost (read losses incurred on each car) various trim bits were cheapened to save a few DM, Fr, Dollar, Pound or other currency as Coupes WERE NOT PROFITABLE cars to produce and sell. In spite of their high price compared to Porsche, MBZ, Jaguar, Citreon SC, and another model or two, they were symbolic of what BMW wanted to project as a Flag Ship model--and succeeded at it--and the existence of this message board supports that today--34-40 years later on--beauty attracts!!!

Remember the good stuff:
Chromed brass trim between the tail-lights--vs anodized alum. trim
Cloissone roundels on the "C" pillar--vs raised painted alum roundels
Chromed front grills--vs black plastic
Chromed hood and fender grills--vs black plastic
Raised letter metal roundels F & R--vs plastic ones since about 1980

All cost saving steps--so here is the reality of some of those little steps taken to "cheapen" our beauties--but the debate goes on as to "correctness"--maybe we should use the term "cheaper" or the later models with less expensive versions of the original quality trim parts.

BTW--BLUMAX has all the nice jewelry from day 1--no substitutes.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Grills--Chromed or Black

As with several other cost saving steps taken to minimize cost (read losses incurred on each car) various trim bits were cheapened to save a few DM, Fr, Dollar, Pound or other currency as Coupes WERE NOT PROFITABLE cars to produce and sell. In spite of their high price compared to Porsche, MBZ, Jaguar, Citreon SC, and another model or two, they were symbolic of what BMW wanted to project as a Flag Ship model--and succeeded at it--and the existence of this message board supports that today--34-40 years later on--beauty attracts!!!

Remember the good stuff:
Chromed brass trim between the tail-lights--vs anodized alum. trim
Cloissone roundels on the "C" pillar--vs raised painted alum roundels
Chromed front grills--vs black plastic
Chromed hood and fender grills--vs black plastic
Raised letter metal roundels F & R--vs plastic ones since about 1980

All cost saving steps--so here is the reality of some of those little steps taken to "cheapen" our beauties--but the debate goes on as to "correctness"--maybe we should use the term "cheaper" or the later models with less expensive versions of the original quality trim parts.

BTW--BLUMAX has all the nice jewelry from day 1--no substitutes.

Stefan

Reaction score
MMercury said:
D-jetronic said:
simplification IS money saving !!!!

Usually, but not always.

How about simple rust proofing? On some coupes it seems as thought BMW skipped a step and went right to the rust as an added "convenience" to the customer! Some say the original bottom bolt oil filter was an indirect means of simply addressing this issue! I wish they would have "simply" sprayed a little zinc in a few areas under the fenders or just saved themselves a few DM by omitting all attempts at undercoating, leaving it to the customer, who might have done a far more effective job. :lol:

......... How did we end up with this simply solution on this topic???

Stefan

Reaction score
MMercury said:
D-jetronic said:
simplification IS money saving !!!!

Usually, but not always.

How about simple rust proofing? On some coupes it seems as thought BMW skipped a step and went right to the rust as an added "convenience" to the customer! Some say the original bottom bolt oil filter was an indirect means of simply addressing this issue! I wish they would have "simply" sprayed a little zinc in a few areas under the fenders or just saved themselves a few DM by omitting all attempts at undercoating, leaving it to the customer, who might have done a far more effective job. :lol:

......... How did we end up with this simply solution on this topic???

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

I should have specified :

simplification IS money saving (for the car builder) !!!!

Never found out why karman missed that step and only put that simple coating, but again money has some thing to do.
:cry:

Maybe another topic ????