Is an M102 Engine worth anything?

Bwana

Reaction score
I ended up with an M102, not the desirable M106. I'm going to strip it down and of course keep all the turbo components but is there anything special about the block or heads? I'm planning on just scrapping the block, what else?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I ended up with an M102, not the desirable M106. I'm going to strip it down and of course keep all the turbo components but is there anything special about the block or heads? I'm planning on just scrapping the block, what else?
the exhaust manifold and charge pipe

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
What exactly ARE the differences between the M102 block and a M106 block?? Engine differences that are obvious are displacement, compression, digital motor electronics and electric 4-spd transmission, then there were minor changes to the turbo, intercooler, charge piping, piston cooling and boost pressure. But were there any real differences in the block? How are those differences compared to other M30 (or even the M90?) And finally, what year was thwe M102 vs the M106?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
QUOTE="dp, post: 326135, member: 56"]
What exactly ARE the differences between the M102 block and a M106 block?? Engine differences that are obvious are displacement, compression, digital motor electronics and electric 4-spd transmission, then there were minor changes to the turbo, intercooler, charge piping, piston cooling and boost pressure. But were there any real differences in the block? How are those differences compared to other M30 (or even the M90?) And finally, what year was thwe M102 vs the M106?
[/QUOTE]

BMW Tech document:

3.4-liter fuel injected turbo charged engine, model 745i

The 3.4 l motor replaces the preceding 3.2 l fuel injected, turbo charged model.
The turbo concept was redesigned based on the 3.4 l suction motor, which resulted in distinctive improvements in fuel efficiency and response.

Changes with respect to the 3.2 l turbo engine:

Block of 3.4 l engine has bores for knock sensors
Pistons have concave head for 8.0:1 compression
Bottom of piston is cooled by stream of oil from nozzles in main journal at 1.8 bar
Exhaust driven turbocharger K27 with additional oil hole to cool turbine shaft
Turbocharger is thermally separated from compressor (point contact only)
Standard cylinder head 3.4 l
Crank shaft is the same as in the 3.4 l suction motor
Digital-Motor-Electronic II (Motronic) unit with integrated overload and over heating protection
Compression regulation
Knock regulation
Pistons with concave bottoms and altered ring configuration
Exhaust manifold studs are high temperature resistant
Nimonic exhaust valves
Cam shaft has mounting feature for Motronic high voltage distributor finger
Improved water flow in cylinder head
Water pump with larger……

And on and on.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nimonic valves…….

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Nimonic is a registered trademark of Special Metals Corporation that refers to a family of nickel-based high-temperature low creep superalloys. Nimonic alloys typically consist of more than 50% nickel and 20% chromium with additives such as titanium and aluminium.

Bwana

Reaction score
Thanks Don. Looks to be a completely different, and upgraded, engine. I think it's worth it to keep the head.