Ireland Engineering Question

gazzol

Reaction score
Hi all, I was thinking of getting a reprofiled cam amongst many other things from Ireland Engineering till I read (unpromted) on another forum about someone who claimed to have had a problem with one not being hard enough and it wore out very quickly. Is there any one on this board who has had one or who knows someone that does? Has enyone here delt with Jim Ireland if so what are their veiws of him and his products in general. I'm going to build a new motor for my CS and am planning on going the whole hog and spending a lot of money on this engine and Jim does have some very competatively priced products in his catalogue, however they aren't cheap if they're no good.
Any thoughts/opinions apreciated.
Thanks Gary

jfornarola

Reaction score
I have purchased products and received advice from Jeff several times over the years on both my 2002 ITb and 73 CSL. Straight up honest guy with honest advice. I would have no question doing business with him again.

Cam shaft break-in can be tricky. If you follow the proper procedure it's no problem. But if you get it wrong in one of several different areas, then you could be in a pickle. Attention to detail as provided by the supplier is key.

I recall years ago some domestic manufacturer (seems like Chevy about 1969 or 1970 in a 396 motor - but I could be mistaken) had a problem with a manufacturing process. Recalled a bunch of motors due to bad "heat treating". The lobes were worn to nothing. I don't know if that was the real reason but my cousin who used a SS 396 el Camino as a tow vehicle for a Corvette gasser was not pleased.

Just my $.02...